Looking for AMP Recommendations. Sound similar to Burson Conductor in a smaller package
Jan 8, 2018 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

shrisha

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have Burson Conductor amp and I really like its sound, but frequent travel force me to downsize and settle for something smaller in terms of size and weight. Is there anyone who's familiar with Burson's house sound and Burson Conductor in particular, could you please recommend a similar sound signature in a smaller package so to say? I'm using Audeze LCD-3 headphones if it helps in terms of matching phones with the amp.
Ideally it should be a DAC + AMP in one box, but if they are small I would consider separate DAC + AMP.

Thank you and I appreciate any recommendations.

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 4
Burson has a unique sound and the LCD3 needs a big amp to drive it. You could trade down to LCDX and the Soloist SL would drive it fine. Pick up a Chord Hugo for a big improvement on whatever DAC you're using in the Conductor. If you're moving a lot pick up a pelican case that will hold them both. At work I'm using the discontinued Conductor SL to drive my LCDXC, very transportable. It sounds very similar to my Soloist/LCD3 at home but I have come to realize the Conductor's DAC is holding it back you are better off with a separate portable DAC.

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 4
Thank you for your suggestions. I do like very much my LCD-3 sound so not planning to trade down to LCDX. I do realize that internal BURSON DAC is holding it back but the amp part compensates for that. I do prefer to have all-in-one box that's why asked for recommendations. I've heard a lot of good things about Chord Hugo and especially Hugo 2 which many say is even better, but how does its amp compares to Burson sound? I like that nice timber, thick, textured sound that BURSON has, how does Hugo sounds in comparison?

Thanks and appreciate your feedback.

Burson has a unique sound and the LCD3 needs a big amp to drive it. You could trade down to LCDX and the Soloist SL would drive it fine. Pick up a Chord Hugo for a big improvement on whatever DAC you're using in the Conductor. If you're moving a lot pick up a pelican case that will hold them both. At work I'm using the discontinued Conductor SL to drive my LCDXC, very transportable. It sounds very similar to my Soloist/LCD3 at home but I have come to realize the Conductor's DAC is holding it back you are better off with a separate portable DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back