Looking for amp recomendations for Audeze LCD-X
Feb 27, 2017 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

metric1

New Head-Fier
Hello!

After auditioning a large selection of headphones from Beyer, Hifiman, Mr Speakers, Sennheiser, B&W, Oppo and others, including other Audeze offerings (including the XC's) the LCD-X's just had it for me, I kept coming back to them again and again. I auditioned them on an Oppo HA-1 with DAC duties via a Chord Hugo.

The sound was good, no doubt, but I could not help but feel the LCD's had more to give than the Oppo HA-1 (more likely than the Hugo) was capable of showing. I also listened to the Sennheiser HDVD800 (with 800s' and the LCD's) and absolutely hated it, sorry .. wasn't to my taste at all; just too analytical to my valve accustomed ears.

I've been a valve diehard for years and most of that time Audio Note has been where it's at for me. I love the musically engaging, visceral and organic qualities of the AN sound - it's spot on to me. I love the 300B sound and had a 300B AN Meishu as my main amp for many years, but I'm currently running a heavily modded P1 SE (EL84's) which doesn't slam as hard as the PP version, but the highs make up for this and the slam is more than adequate.

Given this, I'm looking for recommendations for amp matches for the LCD-X, I'm obviously interested in valve but only valve amps that can rock. I predominantly listen to hard rock, metal, stoner, doom, sludge, noise etc (think Windhand, Electric Wizard, Sleep, Brume, Acid Bath, Bongripper, Melt Banana, Slayer) so nothing too polite, thin, twinkly or noodly, please!

Slam and impact are the name of the game for me (alongside musically engaging, organic/natural, rich and on the sweeter side of the spectrum). I appreciate a refined sound, but not at the cost of excitement and toe-tapping involvement. I'm looking to be moved by the music, not just awed at the beauty of it (if that makes sense?).

Any thoughts?

I am totally OK with ss amps that have an organic non-clinical sound (like Lavardin etc. )

I've read the forums here and already have a few possibles, but I'm trying to drill down based on my music and sound tastes. For example, I hear the WA5 is wonderful, but may not be the last word in terms of a convincing and engaging rocker, given some reviews I read.

Apologies for the long post, I just want to be as clear as I can about what I'm looking for so I can compile a decent audition list.

Cheers!

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 4
I heard last month KGSSHV + 009 with Audio Note DAC and I know what you think. Audio Note DAC adds to 009 nicer visceral feel also more atmosphere than for example Yggdrasil next which would be better for more warmer headphone according to my opinion and for example.

So good question. Audeze and LCDX do not have clinical character so you will be very ok with most of the quality ss amps and what you describe that you want slam, impact, engaging, natural etc. it is Audeze nature according to my experiences. I also think that Woo WA5 would be unnecessary overkill, LCDX is not hard to drive but sure as most of the planars like powerfull amps. When I tried LCDX with my Brooklyn DAC it was very good in dynamic and in impact and atmosphere, I can not say bad word about it, so according to sound character of the Audeze I would go to quality ss amp. Unfortunately I can not say you which one, wait for people which have more experiences with both ss and tube amps with LCDX...
And write your ask also to LCDX thread, there goes more people than here.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 4
knopi,

Thank you for your feedback and comments, much appreciated. Out of interest, which AN DAC did you try out?

I'd love to find the LCD-X thread but when I searched in the 'Full-size Headphones' forum for 'Audeze LCD-X' I got 980 threads returned. Is there a thread in particular that you feel would be suitable to ask in? 

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 4
It was Audio Notet 4.1 but with high upgrades so almost 5.1 I would say great piece of audio dac (although for my needs it would be expensive).

You will find LCDX thread in High-End Audio Forum theme here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684394/audeze-lcd-x/9090#post_13305914

Users who are viewing this thread

Back