Looking for amp ~200
Mar 31, 2007 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

the chemist

100+ Head-Fier
So i managed to trip and snap my SR-60 mini plug in half. That being said I am looking at the SR-225 and an amp rather than the SR-325i. I enjoy techno(trance/electronica) and rock for the most part.

I like the sound of the Sr-60s, but would like a little extra impact on the low end. Something in the 50-100hz range for boost. I was hoping an amp would emphasize the low end of headphones and possibly add some life. Should I be looking at an amp and headphones or just headphones?

Also which amp would be the best in the rough budget of 200 for an amp alone. Would a better improvement be a mod to some of the headphones? Thanks for the input.

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 7
If you are looking for a home amp I would suggest:

- Musical Fidelity X-Can V2, you can get it used from $140 to $190 including S&H.
- Litle Tube MT the upgraded unit, new for $199 plus S&H. If you get this one have them ship you a pair of additional tubes for a minimal fee.

If you are looking for a portable amp I would suggest:

- Dr. Xin's Supermicro IV or Supermini IV. Be prepared to wait 3 months and Dr. Xin is not good at responding to emails.
- Go-Vibe 6
- XM4, however when you get it replace the OPA2134 with an AD8620. You will be amazed at the improvement. BTW it is easy just pull the OPA2134 and install the AD8620 in (it just drops in). Maybe Practical Devices will do the mod before they ship it out, ask them.

Good luck.

Apr 1, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 7
Back to the top
580smile.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Also a strong contender at this price is the Xenos 1HA-EPC. Great sounding amp. A bit big for a true portable, but does have rechargeable batteries. Excellent sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back