Looking for advise for a portable rig... and some questions...
Nov 7, 2011 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

lukasaswin

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone...

I'm new to the audiophile world, although I've loved music since as early as I can remember...

First of all, I became interested in these portable audio stuff only since mid this year, since I began searching for a relatively cheap iem to replace an old philips headphones I had (can't remember the model). My budget was no more than Rp. 100,000 ($10) but ended up buying a tdk eb9000, which costs about Rp. 500,000. It was just after pay-day... so I thought, why not... haha.

It was much better than the philips and some old sony earbuds I had since year 2000 ish... but after surfing the net for a week or two (initially to search for reviews on the tdk), I thought that I might try the dual-driver iem from shure... the SE 425. After a long search, I found a second-hand pair of se425 for only Rp. 1,800,000 ($180)... and it is original... I've checked from the official Indonesian distributor. I was really happy... but, i wanted to get something even better... hehe. So, came the SE535... unfortunately had to pay full price though.

Having one of the best universal iems around (at least that's what i gather from many websites/forums), I thought it's only natural that I search for a portable amp... and bought an Ibasso d-zero.

Now, I have a high end iem and an okay portable amp... but here's the problem. As source, for portability reasons, I'm still using my nokia n8, which, as far as portability goes, is quite nice... 12 mp cam and a considerably okay music player. So, the set up I'm using right now is nokia n8 > iBasso d-zero > Shure SE535. I do understand the the n8 is not a bad source... but, it ain't the best either. Besides, it doesn't have a line out like the ipods have.

So, now this is what i have in mind... and please advise me on how well/bad this idea is....

Ipod classic as source... as although like the n8, it ain't the best, it does have the LOD thingy that'll allow me to tap into a portable dac such as the fostex hp-p1 or the alo audio dac/amp.

I'm confused however, whether to choose the hp-p1 or the alo... and if using the alo is better, which would be better... the continental or the rx mk II (or, III perhaps)

There also several other questions that i want to ask... is it true that the i-products can't just tap into just any portable dac... although using the LOD...

And if that's true... is it only limeted to the fostex hp-p1 and alo audio products... what other portable dac can it use...

As far as I understand, my n8, just like anything that plays music, has it's own amp... so using the ibasso... will that be considered as double amping, which as far as I understand, is no good. While using the n8, am I better of sticking with the ibasso... because it does change the sound for the better... or, am i better without it...

There are many other questions i'd like to ask... but I'll save it for another time...

Thanks so much in advance :)

Oh, and sorry if my questions are very stupid... but hey, i'm a newbie... I need to know these things.. hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back