Looking for advice - Schiit Magni 3+ or Asgard without a module?
Apr 26, 2020 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Brewin4u

New Head-Fier
Hey folks .....

I am moving and going into a much smaller workspace. I have a desktop PC sending sound to a Schiit Modi multibit DAC. I was using a full size Yamaha A/V receiver as an amp and driving wired desktop speakers. The Modi DAC was a huge improvement in the sound ......

In my new space I do not have room for the full size receiver so I am looking to expand my schiit and add an amp that can drive headphones and also send pre-out signal to a set of monitor speakers.

In looking at the Schiit website, it looks as if the Magni 3+ or an Asgard would both
work for me. What would you guys that are familiar with this equipment do? Looking for some perspective here.

My use case is headphones in the AM and speakers later in the day as my office space is right off the master bedroom and I'm an early riser and my wife is not.

Also, any input as to what powered monitor speakers you might suggest would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your perspectives.......

Apr 26, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 11
I have a pair of Sony MDR 1AM2s ..... but will be open to setting myself up with some new options. I'm just trying to get a feel for the difference between a magni 3+ and the Asgard 2 ..... they seem vey comparable and I'm missing something because there is a real price difference. But I'm not clear on what you get for the more expensive Asgard (without a module).

Apr 26, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 11
You mean Asgard 3, not 2 right? 3 is the newest model. There is a huge difference between the the Asgard 2 and 3 and aren't even based on the same tech, so just checking there.
Anyway, I bought the Asgard 3 so I could have an all in one unit. Something you likely won't care about considering you already have a modi multibit. The Asgard 3 is also higher powered than the magni 3+, however, you won't need more power with the headphones you have, the magni 3+ is very capable. When you buy from schiit you can return the equipment in 15 days for money back, you could always buy both and the send whichever back...just an idea. I like heavy equipment with big volume knobs also, so Asgard 3 was a win there (lol). Good luck in your search and hope that helped a bit.

Apr 26, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 11
Also, something worth mentioning is that the Asgard 3 puts you into 5 year warranty period, while the Magni's only have a 2 year period. Something to consider if you plan on keeping this for a while, Schiit customer service is quite good should the need arise.

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 11
In looking at the Schiit website, it looks as if the Magni 3+ or an Asgard would both
work for me. What would you guys that are familiar with this equipment do? Looking for some perspective here.

Personally I'd pay extra to get more Class A bias (and even if it's not pure Class A anymore, at least it won't run out of power if you suddenly buy an older 87dB/1mW planar on the cheap), 5yr warranty, and not using a(n otherwise carefully selected) generic power brick.

Apr 27, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 11
I think the Asgard 3 is definitely worth the step-up in SQ, but for daily use it's a better-built unit and the volume knob is great for headphone and pre-out control.

Apr 27, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 11
I have a pair of Sony MDR 1AM2s ..... but will be open to setting myself up with some new options. I'm just trying to get a feel for the difference between a magni 3+ and the Asgard 2 ..... they seem vey comparable and I'm missing something because there is a real price difference. But I'm not clear on what you get for the more expensive Asgard (without a module).
I love my 1AM2! They really are easy to drive though. I wouldn't expect a huge gain with that particular headphone with a better amp. If you like the Sony sound, (I love it), consider stepping up to the Z7M2 or original Z7. Both will benefit more from a more powerful amp. The 1AM2 can be driven to ear shattering colume by pretty much anything, mobile phones included.

Apr 27, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back