Looking for Advice/Options on PC setup (SoundCard, Headphones, Amp, Receiver)
Aug 30, 2009 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Reiniku

New Head-Fier
I find myself very much willing to invest into upgrading my current computer setup, but in a more acoustic sense. So where better to ask for advice than the largest money sink in the planet?

I'm hoping to spend something along $400, so hopefully that leaves my options fairly open in regards to all this. Of course if I can figure out something nice with what I have, no complaints
biggrin.gif
. Realistically, Computer As Source is my only real means for music (other than my car/ipod). Hell, all my CD's are packed away in a box and in a location I cannot even begin to fathom. Basically, all my music is digital, be it mp3 or FLAC.

I really wanted to up the listening quality from home and I have 2 sources from which I can do it.

My first is my desktop computer, which has a very old SB Audigy 2ZS. If any more specs past that are necessary, please let me know.

My second is my HTPC, with a DFI NF4 Lanparty Expert, whose onboard sound (Karajan audio module - Realtek ALC850 8-channel AC'97 audio CODEC), is hooked up to a Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K A/V Receiver via SPDIF Coax.

Amidst all this I have a pair of HD555's that have served me well.

I'm not sure if any of this is of particularly good starting ground but for starters I'm almost set on getting a pair of Grados (SR80 or MS1) and AD700's or DT880's. I'm under the impression that if I go unamped the DT880's are practically useless, so I'm keeping my options open on headphones here. I want to focus on making a setup suitable for anything I would purchase.

Should I be looking on upgrading my Sound Card on my Desktop PC or is there a good alternative to using my A/V Receiver on my HTPC? I'm slightly worried about powering the DT880's, what kind of amping should I look into (maybe a DAC?) and how should my setup be configured?

How good is the VSX-1018 for Headphones? To be honest, I'm not at home right now and have never really tried using my HD555's on them. I guess there's no better judge than my own ears, but input is also greatly appreciated.

Pioneer USA - Pioneer A/V Receivers

Here's the product page for it, if it's of any help.

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 8
You might want to start with a high quality source. Either external DAC or internal soundcard. You may also want to look into an external headphones amplifier also..
You need to be a bit more clear with your needs and possibly features you want.

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 8
My source is practically only going to be Foobar2k and a mix of Lossless and VBR MP3's.

In regards to the rest of that, I'm just looking for something very versatile, so I'm open to suggestions whether it be an external DAC or internal SC. What are the pros and cons of both?

Would using the external DAC on either source yield the same results, allowing me to use both computers with the same SQ? I hear that the HD555's and Grados I'm choosing from generally do not need amping, but I'm also fairly open to looking at some desktop amps. At first I was thinking I'd like to just get something for one computer and use it for listening to music but if I can get something that can be used on both PC's with little to no work when moving, then I'd very much like to do that.

Basically, I guess I want to upgrade in a way where I can use whatever I purchase on both computers, with enough juice to drive a pair of DT880's. (External DAC + Amp?) Hope this helps.

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 8
Anyway, external is nice because you can use it for a laptop or a desktop, take it with you kind of thing. The prices get pretty ridiculous, so def. do your research. I'm using an EMU0404USB which is a pretty solid performer, but it has drawbacks. Generally a seperate powersupply from the PC helps keep noise down.

As far as amplification, even if headphones don't "need" it, which is true in your case, amplification benefits SQ even at lower listening levels, so I'd suggest getting one either way. With your budget, I'd look at a Xonar ST/STX or a V-DAC for DAC. As for amps, well, check the amp section
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #5 of 8
I am using NF4 lanparty ultra right now, and I never been impressed by the sound of karajan module. I guess onboard is just onboard even if its bit better than others.

I don't know much about audigy2 ZS, but I won't bother with it if its sound is like that of SB live. I bought diamond MX300 and SB live at the same time about 10 years ago. My MX300 has been cap modded, is still feeding sweet sound into my ears even at this very moment. SB Live, in contrast, I am sure I still have it somewhere in one of my storage boxes.

It is not like that I am trying to bash something though, I think both are not good enough for serious music listening. I suggest you look into better sound source first. It could be a soundcard or a DAC. What you want to look for is bit perfect output, connectivity as a digital transport, and better analog circuit in case you want to connect headphones directly to it.

For the amp, I heard good thing about pioneer amp you have linked. But I never had it for myself, so can't comment on that. Check amp section, and oh, good luck.

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm very interested in the Xonar but it doesn't seem like an option for me if I want to keep using my Logitech Z-5300e's on my PC, which I use for when I'm not listening to music (need to be plugged in by 3.5mm). Are there any alternatives that would allow me to keep these speakers? I know that the XT can be paired with the 7.1 module, but I simply don't have the space on my motherboard, thanks to how huge my graphics cards are.

soulrider4ever, What exactly are the drawbacks of the EMU0404USB? I think that an external DAC/Amp might be a pretty good idea since I can move it from the two computers easily and even use it on my laptop when I'm out and about. Would the iBasso D10 Cobra be a good choice for me?

In regards to the karajan module, I do agree that it's nothing impressive. If I'm using coax out however, that doesn't really matter does it? It's my understanding that any sound processing would be done by my receiver instead of the card, right? I might be wrong on this, please correct me if I am.

It's great to know that you've heard good things about the 1018, I hear that the newer revision of it (1019) is actually WORSE somehow, actually being a masked revision of the step down from the 1018, not to mention somehow weighing 10 pounds less. I tried looking at the amp section and source section, but I didn't find any information regarding my receiver. Maybe it was on a different forum? If you could kindly direct me to where I can read a little about it, I would be very much appreciate it.

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reiniku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In regards to the karajan module, I do agree that it's nothing impressive. If I'm using coax out however, that doesn't really matter does it? It's my understanding that any sound processing would be done by my receiver instead of the card, right? I might be wrong on this, please correct me if I am.

This is something I myself want to know for sure for good.
According to the manual, SPDIF is handled either by realtek ALC850 or NF4 depends on jumper setting. Default is realtek. As far as I know of, it does resample everything internally. My guess is even the SPDIF signal is resampled back and forth internally as long as realtek handles it. Anyway, it is hard for me to put solid faith on $3 worth IC chip and parts arround it. Someone more knowledgable please comment on this.

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 8
After a lot of thinking, I found that there was no real need for me to buy a soundcard and that an amp/dac is basically exactly what I need. I could not find any information about my Pioneer receiver so I guess I'll have to leave that alone for now.

I've narrowed my choices down to the iBasso D10, Pico, and Compass. I very much like the idea of being able to use the amp/dac with my laptop on the go so I'm having quite a bit of trouble deciding. From what I've gathered, the D10 and Pico might have a bit of trouble driving DT880's or other high impendance cans, so the Compass seems like the best solution. I just can't get the idea of having a portable dac/amp out of my head...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back