Looking for advice on new setup for office
Jun 24, 2008 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Equus

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for help on making an informed decision for a new office setup using my DAP. Did a search, but couldn't find anything that really quite perfectly fit with what I want and what I already have. I’ve been using AT A700’s for the past year and a half or so (purchased when I first began lurking around here), ferrying them between work and home via my car. Been mostly happy with them, though a little unimpressed sometimes with the mid-range. My job is shifting a little, so I will be commuting via bus three days a week, so I wanted to take the opportunity to try something new that I would leave at the office, while continuing to use the A700s when I commute via car to the other site…or it might end up vice versa if I like the new setup significantly more. I have a small file cabinet in the office that I can lock it in, so portability won’t be much of a factor.

Source is a Cowon D2, and my music tends to be eclectic. Recently it’s been mostly soundtracks or J-Pop, but I’ll occasionally throw in classical, alternative, industrial, folk, and rock. If I’m feeling nostalgic, Hawaiian music is in the mix too.

My perceived needs:
•Closed design - I’m sharing the office with my boss, and it’s located in a slightly walled of area near other cubicles. Doesn’t need to totally block everything out, but some attenuation would be good and I don’t want too much sound to leak out either.
•Circumaural – I wear glasses, and don’t want something that’ll put too much pressure on my ears.
•Comfort – It’s a desk job that I do mainly, so I’ll sometimes have the headphones on for several hours during the day. Mostly depends on if my coworkers are driving me up the wall.
•Budget somewhere around $500 for headphone and amp (if needed).

Currently, I’m leaning toward a setup with a 2Move amp and AKG K271’s, though the somewhat mixed impressions on the K271’s bass makes me somewhat hesitant. The positives I’ve read that still have me leaning toward it are comfort, build quality, and good mids (though maybe I’m putting a little more stock on that than I otherwise might because of my experiences with the A700’s…heh). The alternative may be the Denon D2000’s, but the questions about build quality on those have me currently ranking the K271’s higher.

The 2Move sounds like it’s a good price/performance ratio winner that may end up just hanging out with my D2 whether I’m commuting by bus or car. Not certain how necessary an amp will be really (besides the A700’s, I use UM1’s when I need to go portable), but it sounds like it has some good synergy with the D2.

So I’m looking for advice, comments, suggestions…anything really. Am I out of my mind and should consider some other combos? Pick up something cheaper? Find a new hobby?
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 12
Hi Equus

Are you the bicycle guy at the meet?
smily_headphones1.gif
That guy asked me this same question.
biggrin.gif

From what I've read, ATH-A900Ti should fit your bill. I really love AT house sound for Jpop such as ayaka, aiko, and sort of more crappy songs from h!p.
biggrin.gif

And I don't think most of AT cans need amps.
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 12
Haha...probably not me, since bikes and I haven't really been friends since my last one was stolen in college.
biggrin.gif

The A900Ti's look interesting...especially since the few comments I've read here seem to indicate that they don't have as much of a perceived problem with recessed mids. It didn't bother me so much with my recently deceased X5L, but the it seems to bug me a little more now, even with tweaking the EQ settings.

So a good option, since I do find the A700's I have quite comfy. Is it pretty much confirmed not to "need" an amp?

Thanks for your reply WittyzTH, and thanks in advance to any one else who wants to throw in their two cents.

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 12
I never heard A900ti, but all AT cans I currently own don't require amp. However, they will work better with amp of course.
biggrin.gif

Also, there are two of ATs in the price range - W1000, and ESW9.

haven't heard W1000 for a while, but I own ESW9 and really love it.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you asked this last week, probably you could attended to the Seattle Meet last Saturday, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 12
The D2000, like I mentioned, is definitely in the running given the largely positive feedback on sound quality that it's been getting around here recently. I'm a little hesitant about the build quality, however, since if I'm going to spend a few hundred dollars on a set of cans, I don't want to feel like they won't last long. I've read that there are ways to help alleviate this (tightening screws, etc), but it just makes me a little pessimistic about the possibility of other build problems I may not be able to see. Yeah...I'm a little paranoid.
tongue.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the ESW9's supra-aural? I'd prefer circumaural just because of my glasses, but I guess if there's not too much clamping force, they may work. I do have a rather large-ish head.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you asked this last week, probably you could attended to the Seattle Meet last Saturday, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah...my timing has been pretty off this week, in general. Ah well! Would've been nice to go to the meet, though I do admit I'm a noobish audiophile at best.

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Equus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the ESW9's supra-aural? I'd prefer circumaural just because of my glasses, but I guess if there's not too much clamping force, they may work. I do have a rather large-ish head.
biggrin.gif

I have no comfort issue with ESW9 although it's supra-aural.
biggrin.gif

I also wear glasses too.
smily_headphones1.gif

The reason I suggest this because it's quite portable and SQ is really good. I brought them to the meet two time and many people like them.
smily_headphones1.gif

ps. noobie or audiophile is not important even here or at the meet. We are all for listening to music.
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 12
On my 2nd week with the ESW9 and have really enjoyed them. I also wear glasses and they're not a comfort issue for me either despite being supra-aural. They isolate a touch better than my Sony MDR-V7's do, but probably aren't quite as comfortable. 'Course they sound better which is really the bottom line.

I'm primarily using them with a Meier HeadFive amp, although they sound pretty good directly out of an iPod Classic too. You could do a lot worse than the ESW9 IMO. One note, you may need to get an extension cable depending on how tethered you want to be as the cable on the ESW9 is only 1.2m which is a touch short for what I find ideal working at my desk...

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no comfort issue with ESW9 although it's supra-aural.
biggrin.gif

I also wear glasses too.
smily_headphones1.gif

The reason I suggest this because it's quite portable and SQ is really good. I brought them to the meet two time and many people like them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good to hear on the comfort side. Reading up on them right now on the looooong thread that people posted in as they got their's. Interesting stuff!

One concern that you guys touched on that I might have with them is isolation. Many days I actually don't listen to music at all because there are discussions going around the office that I need to listen in on...or eavesdrop on so I don't have any nasty surprises. Other days I really don't want to hear anything and need to concentrate on the job at hand, which is usually when the headphones come out. Course that is somewhat subjective.
tongue.gif

I guess the question is if there's anything in the the price range that we're looking at that would actually be a better fit, though I realize we're not talking about the really high priced quality stuff. Mostly asking since I do have the option to go circumaural non-portable, and just transport in a dedicated bag when I'm using my car. I also should mention that I occasionally use HPs when I'm at home and doing laundry, since the washer/dryer is in my kitchen and nothing blocks the noise of that monstrosity while I'm trying to watch a movie or something, so some attenuation is definitely needed.

Thanks for the tip on the extension cable DaMavs. Does sound like the cable is pretty short. I remember the tumble my poor old X5L took when I was listening to them at work with my UM1's. Someone came up behind me to tell me something, so I spun around in the chair and almost assaulted my coworker with the MP3 player as it went flying off my desk.

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 12
Any other opinions? I think right now I'm mostly looking at the K271S (MKII now that they're out probably) and ESW9. Would probably have to purchase an amp to travel with me if I bought the former (there's part of me that kinda wants to buy one anyway). D2000 is still sort of in the running, but I think I may want more isolation and less leakage.

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 12
K271 + mini^3 could be a very interesting option, and inexpensive while at it.

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #12 of 12
True, I keep hearing glowing things about the K271, with some people not liking the thinner bass. Not sure how I'd handle that given I'm coming from the A700.

I'm currently leaning toward the ESW9s again...that way I can bring them back and forth with me to whichever site I'm at. I carry a backpack with a laptop with me to either place, so I could always either listen to the ESW9s on the bus or use my UM1s and get a case and throw the ESW9s into my backpack.

If I go that route, I'm thinking I'll pick up an amp later down the road. Then of course, I'll probably revisit the entire "should I buy a K271" train of thought. >.<

Users who are viewing this thread

Back