Looking for advice on new IEM
Dec 29, 2008 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MightyWhitey

New Head-Fier
I currently own an ARCHOS 5 120GB about half full of FLAC's that range from Led Zeppelin to Rush to Johnny Cash to Eric Johnson and anything and everything from Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits. I have Black Sabbath, Zebra and even some George Jones. I have RATM and that is about as far as I go towards any really bass driven music, but I think my musical taste is fairly diverse.
I owned a Cowon A3 that ended up being stolen from me. After replacing my car window and collecting the insurance check, I decided on the ARCHOS. I based this decision on HD size and the larger video screen. I thought that the difference in SQ would be an issue, but it is not as big an issue as I thought.
I am using Shure SE110's, and am no longer happy with them. They lack some of the lower end frequencies and response I want, and the highs are not what I like either...I seem to hear some distortion at higher volumes.
One solution I implemented is the Fiio E5, and that made a great imrovement! There are times I expect to feel some bass in my chest, especially with Mr. Peart on the double bass drums! But I am still missing some clairity.
I am partial to the Klipsch Image X10's vs the UE Super Fi 5 Pro's.(only by reading reviews)
My question to you kind people is what do you think will suite me best for around $200?
BTW my ear canals are fairly small, maybe just a bit bigger than a q-tip.
I am excited to hear your responses!
Thanks!!!

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 4
Warmer response, best bass available: Future Sonics Atrio M5/M8 (Black/Blue)

Warmer response, more bass, most comfort: Klipsch Image X10

In between response, middle bass, arguably most fragile, but customizable, wireless option ($200 more): Sleek Audio SA6

Colder response, less bass impact, more bass clarity, extremely little sibilance, second most comfortable: Etymotic HF5

Coldest response, most accurate but least bass, can be sibilant to some: Etymotic ER4P

Dec 29, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 4
Well it just so happens that I have the SE110 and the Klipsch X10, so I can make a decent comparison of these. The X10 is a completely different beast compared to the SE110. The X10 has a boatload of detail and clarity compared to the SE110, while still maintaining a hard hitting bass response. She SE110 always seemed somewhat muffled to me, like there was a moth ball in my ear.

Now I can comment on the bass response with the SE110 and the Fiio. It made one hell of a transformation with the SE110's bass responce, but it made it distort quite a bit. With the X10, it has ever more bass, hits super hard, and still no hint of distortion. I'd say the X10 is a great choice, but maybe alittle pricey. Unless you go on amazon right now...

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for your input and I think I am leaning towards the Klipsch at this time.
What are your thoughts on comfort and what do you suggest for small ear canals?
What do you think about a single driver IEM vs. multiple driver?
The price is right on AMAZON!
Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back