Looking for advice on new headphones
Sep 25, 2014 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SilverhandX

New Head-Fier
So my last pair of headphones (Steelseries Siberia V2s) broke recently and I'm looking for a new pair. I do a lot of gaming and VOIP, and a bit of listening to music. I'm looking for something preferably under $100 with a limit of around $150. I just want something with decent sound quality. Built in mic is not required and not important as I use an external one. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 10
What kind of music?  If you don't need bass heavy cans, check out the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X, or A700X if you need isolation.  Although it might be possible to find the slightly better AD900X/A900X for under $150 on ebay (new ones, not used).

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 10
  What kind of music?  If you don't need bass heavy cans, check out the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X, or A700X if you need isolation.  Although it might be possible to find the slightly better AD900X/A900X for under $150 on ebay (new ones, not used).

I listen to a variety of music, bass isn't particularly important though. I was recommended the Audio Technica M40x's by someone, are they particularly worse than the AD700x's since they're cheaper?

Sep 25, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 10
  I listen to a variety of music, bass isn't particularly important though. I was recommended the Audio Technica M40x's by someone, are they particularly worse than the AD700x's since they're cheaper?

I haven't heard the two myself, but the M40X is closed which means it's going to have a much smaller sound stage.  The M40X is described as having a slight V-shaped sound signature, which means boosted bass, boosted treble, and recessed mids.  However the V curve isn't supposed to be too sharp on the M40X.

The AD700X is one of the highest rated gaming headphones.  The sound stage is unrivaled in its price range, but it's open which means it leaks sound (people will hear what you're listening to) and provides no isolation.  There is a closed variant of the AD700X called the A700X, which should have a bit more bass impact than the AD700X but greatly reduced sound stage.  

I use the A900X, which is a model above the A700X.  Mids are more forward, compared to the recessed mids that a V-shaped sound signature brings.  Bass impact should be a lot less than the M40X, treble should be less harsh/fatiguing too.  

For gaming, go with the AD700X if you don't care about isolation.  It will present music in a different way than the M40X, I don't know which wins in clarity and detail.  

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 10
  I use the A900X, which is a model above the A700X.  Mids are more forward, compared to the recessed mids that a V-shaped sound signature brings.  Bass impact should be a lot less than the M40X, treble should be less harsh/fatiguing too.  

+1 on the Audio Technica ATH-A900X (closed) headphones.
I added the Hifiman HE Velour ear pads to my A900X :)
I would guess the A900X may not have as loud a bass as the M40X, but I would think the A900X comes with a better "quality" bass, then the M40Xs.

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 10

I haven't heard the two myself, but the M40X is closed which means it's going to have a much smaller sound stage.  The M40X is described as having a slight V-shaped sound signature, which means boosted bass, boosted treble, and recessed mids.  However the V curve isn't supposed to be too sharp on the M40X.

The AD700X is one of the highest rated gaming headphones.  The sound stage is unrivaled in its price range, but it's open which means it leaks sound (people will hear what you're listening to) and provides no isolation.  There is a closed variant of the AD700X called the A700X, which should have a bit more bass impact than the AD700X but greatly reduced sound stage.  

For gaming, go with the AD700X if you don't care about isolation.  It will present music in a different way than the M40X, I don't know which wins in clarity and detail.  

I'm worried with an open headset my microphone would pick up too much of the noise. If I was going to go with a closed one is the A700X worth the extra money over the M40X, or would there not be much difference if I was getting a closed one?

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 10

the m40x is tuned flat. you're describing the m50x

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 10
the m40x is tuned flat. you're describing the m50x

Thanks, I thought the M40X was still V-shaped but just less so than the M50X.

I'm worried with an open headset my microphone would pick up too much of the noise. If I was going to go with a closed one is the A700X worth the extra money over the M40X, or would there not be much difference if I was getting a closed one?

What microphone do you use?  A good mic won't have that problem.  Maybe even a cheap one with a foam tip won't have that problem.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back