Looking for advice on IEM or Source
Aug 22, 2019 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mrconfuse

100+ Head-Fier
I was using the Kanas pro until my left ear started to hurt (the right is fine). It's not the ear drums it's the out part where the IEM sits. Not sure if it's the weight or what but other IEM that I've tried seem okay so i
m guessing it's the Kanas pro. It has gotten to the point where I can't use them for more than 20-30 minutes.

A friend of my has an old Westone Am pro 30 which he doesn't use anymore (gear head) and is willing to give it to me. So the question I have is this, I have $500 which i was going to spend on a new IEM to replace the kanas pro. Since my friend is willing to part with the UM Pro 30 should i now spend the money upgrade to a better nice player? I am currently using the Onkyo dp-s1. Or should I get an IEM that's better than the Westone AM PRO?

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 11
I have tried the Westone, the the AM pro's allow ambient sound to come in so the isolation is much lower than the standard UMPRO 30 (but very comfortable). They sound a a bit forward/mid focus to me but I'm not hating it, I'm actually indifferent which is why it has been so difficult for me to decide on what option i should take.

1. live with my indifference and buy a better source then upgrade the IEM down the line

or

2. upgrade the IEM and then get a source down the line.

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 11
There are some pretty darn good IEMs available at the $500 price-point... You might want to check out a Campfire Polaris or an IT04 and see what you think. Also in this general price range, but a bit more expensive, is the very underrated Noble Sage, which I really like. Maybe read about these and see if one interests you.

Aug 23, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 11
If it were me, I would maximally upgrade the IEM first, then deal with the source down the road. Just my take though and others might do it differently.

Yeah I was always told by my audiophile friends to upgrade the IEM/headphone first, then the source and cables later, as it is a diminishing returns concept.
As for how true this is, maybe the others can shed light on this.
I haven't bought many TOTL stuff and from my limited experience, it does seem to me that the incremental gains from upgrading IEMs is more than that for cables/sources (for roughly the same amount of money spent).

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 11
Upgrade priority: IEMs/headphones >>>>>>>>>> amps/dacs/daps >>>>>>>>>> cables.

Do you have a preferred sound signature?

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #10 of 11
I liked the sound signature of the Kanas pro even though it didn't fit completely right. I liked the sound from the final audio B2 (limit amount of time spent on it though). I know that I don't want something that is bass heavy/focused, just bass that is true to the audio recording. And a soundstage that is not that narrow or in your face. I also prefer to feel like i'm sitting 1-2 rows in front of the singer, not have the signer 5 feet away from my face.

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #11 of 11
It's been a while since I heard the Kanas Pro (and I haven't tried the B2 yet), but Moondrop generally aims for a neutral sound.

I wouldn't recommend any of the <$500 Campfire offerings - Comet would be a sidegrade at best, IO/Polaris2 are pretty bad, and I wouldn't be surprised if you found the IO/Polaris/Orion to be uncomfortable after prolonged use. Noble universals might also prove to be uncomfortable, since they're pretty bulky and oddly shaped.

A couple IEMs I'd suggest taking a look at are the Etymotic ER4 (if you don't mind a deeper insertion), Massdrop Plus (bit iffy on the build quality, but good sound), or a universal Custom Art FIBAE2/3? Sony has a few offerings that might work as well, like the N3AP, EX800ST/EX1000, or maybe even the IER-M7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back