Looking for Advice for an affordable headphone amp
Apr 2, 2009 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

AlwaysAFan

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. I'm interested in purchasing a new "beginners" headphone amp. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600's that I enjoy playing games on my PC with (as well as listening to MP3's) but Im not sure which amp to go with.

I've looked around, and these two seemed to have caught my interest

IBasso T4 Amp
iBasso

Firestone Audio Cute Beyond
Cute Beyond Headphone Amp | Sound Additions

Im open to almost anything, I just want something I can carry around easy that'll drive my Senns well! My budget is basically under 200$ USD.

Thanks!

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 14
Since you have high impedance headphones you should look at a tube amp since they are more apt to drive your 300 Ohm headphones properly. Solid state will generally work better with low impedance headphones like a 32 Ohm Grado. Sometimes you will see a Hybrid amp with a tube gain section and a solid state output section, these for the most part are better with low impedance headphones. There is a company in China that makes all three types and people seem to like them. Little-Dot, Viewing a thread - Little Dot Models and Pricing Index Little-Dot makes a model called the MK II that will give you 300mW at 300 Ohms, and its in your price range. I would also look at the used section here at head-fi and even Audiogon.com if you like. Tube are nice too because you can swap them out (Tube Roll) and get all kinds of different sounds from your one amplifier. Anything between 300mW and 500mW is going to have lots of power. Something like the iBasso portable may have about 50mW (Just a guess so don't go crazy iBasso fans). You really want something that plugs into the wall and not something that runs off a rechargeable battery. You have some really nice headphones, and with the right amp they will sound amazing. I don't know if you know how to solder but if you do then you can have something equivalent to a 500 dollar amp with a little patience. Something like the Cavelli Audio Bijou would make a nice mate for your Senn's.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...d-pics-379919/<~~Nice Amp, You wont do any better in your price range.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/ic...8/#post5570607

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #3 of 14
30 more posts will get you in the FS Forums, where you could find a really good deal on a used amp. RSA Hornet/Meier XXS/Headsix/Headamp Pico all for under $250. Check it out & Happy Hunting.

Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 14
ollblueyez: he wants a portable amp..... but yes maybe take a look at your priorities and think whether you do actually NEED it to be portable, since IMO the HD600 would be pretty terrible portable headphones anyway because of the lack of isolation and chunky size.

the ibasso offerings offer more than 50mw; the D10 which is one of their less powerful options is 100mw. still not enough to power the senns to potential, but def enough to make some noise
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ollblueyez: he wants a portable amp..... but yes maybe take a look at your priorities and think whether you do actually NEED it to be portable, since IMO the HD600 would be pretty terrible portable headphones anyway because of the lack of isolation and chunky size.

the ibasso offerings offer more than 50mw; the D10 which is one of their less powerful options is 100mw. still not enough to power the senns to potential, but def enough to make some noise
biggrin.gif

Thank you, and absolutely you are correct I am looking for something that's very mobile.

You're also correct in the fact my HD600's aren't really that great for portable headphones but unfortunately its the only decent pair I have. I'm very open to suggestions though on a pair I could buy - I just don't want to spend anymore than say $40 or $50 total. I love those headphones, but I admit I've only ever tried it at home and with my PC/TV.

Hmm.. your post was very insightful. I think I may upgrade my headphones to something a bit more useful as portable and then grab an amp. Can someone perhaps point me into the right direction?
smily_headphones1.gif
Can you tell I'm pretty noob? lol!

Thanks all!

Apr 28, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

biggrin.gif

If he has HD600 headphones, then he (((Thinks))) he wants a portable. People advising him to get a portable are doing him a disservice. He would be better off buying headphones meant for a portable, the 600's will never sound that great from a portable device. I have spent time with combinations like that and a proper portable headphone will sound better than an under amped 600.

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 14
^^ agreed, but sometimes people are stubborn and IMO giving someone advice on a home amp when they post wanting advice on portable solutions is a waste of time and from the OP very annoying. in fact with the right opamp in the D10 I have been able to generate up to 300ma and thats without buffers. you are absolutely correct that you wont get the best out of HD600 with a portable amp, but its better than no amp and if you need music to be portable and dont want to buy another set of headphones for portable, because you like the sound of the ones you have, then sometimes you just have to do what you can with a situation. I think its totally valid to use HD600 in an office environment; using them on the bus is a bit dohey though. so if a small mains powered amp is out of the question, then a good portable will help a great deal.

I just get a little over seeing posts where people are told what they want, when they have clearly stated their intentions. assuming someone hasnt put any thought into something just by default does both them and you a disservice.

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

^^ agreed, but sometimes people are stubborn and IMO giving someone advice on a home amp when they post wanting advice on portable solutions is a waste of time and from the OP very annoying. in fact with the right opamp in the D10 I have been able to generate up to 300ma and thats without buffers. you are absolutely correct that you wont get the best out of HD600 with a portable amp, but its better than no amp and if you need music to be portable and dont want to buy another set of headphones for portable, because you like the sound of the ones you have, then sometimes you just have to do what you can with a situation. I think its totally valid to use HD600 in an office environment; using them on the bus is a bit dohey though. so if a small mains powered amp is out of the question, then a good portable will help a great deal.

I just get a little over seeing posts where people are told what they want, when they have clearly stated their intentions. assuming someone hasnt put any thought into something just by default does both them and you a disservice.

Yeah I know, just makes me shake my head.

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 14
but back to the topic, i use my hd580's with my d10 and so far its been a good time. it may not be the perfect amp for them, but it is the perfect amp for my listening situation, which is usually by myself in a lab or in my office. since both these places are not in my home, i am quite happy carrying the whole setup with me from home and back. when it comes down to it for my circumstances, it really is the best system i have access to and if you are too mobile or simply don't have room for a better spec'd desk amp, then i think the d10 is versatile enough to power the hd600 adequately, not to mention that when you do upgrade you have a very good and portable dac that you can integrate into most new systems. just my 2 cents.

May 5, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Actually thats exactly why I wanted a portable amp
smily_headphones1.gif
I work in an office, and I absolutely hate not being able to listen to music whenever I want.

And I understand your guys' point of view, currently thats all I really have though in the way of decent headphones. So thats why I was asking. Im not trying to be stubborn (far from it, I appreciate all your guy's advice) but currently Im just posting based on what I have and what i know
biggrin.gif
Abiet, that may not be too much heheh...

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback and even though my setup maybe far from the best Im a) Very open to trying new things and b) Might have to settle with what I currently have until I can afford to update it further. So please, feel free to post any ideas, hopefully my intentions are a little more clear now
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

May 13, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 14
I'm getting very nice results using a Cute Beyond and Supplier with my Grado 325i's and AKG 701's. I've only tried two other amps (X-Can V8 and a Creek unit) but I'm still very impressed with how much this little amp improves the sound of both my headphones. If you feel like playing around with different Op-Amps they can be bought from the company and swapped out very easy. I haven't felt the need to change them but maybe down the road just for fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back