Looking For Advice for A New Tent For Camping.
Feb 13, 2006 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

headchange4u

500+ Head-Fier
It won't be long before I start camping and backpacking again and I am in the market for a new tent.

I noticed when camping at Edisto Beach this year that my tent has seen it's better days. I could see pinholes of light through the tent fabric. Thank God it didn't rain on me!

So anyways, I would like to find a new tent based on some real-world opinions. I am looking for a 3 season 2-3 person tent that has at least one vestibule for gear, says dry (very important), and has good cross ventilation.

I would also like to get something fairly light, say up to 8 lbs. packed. My wife and I may do some section hiking on the Appalachian Trail this spring/summer. I would also like to find something for no more $150-175. It must be sturdy because I do camp a lot.

I would also like to get some suggestions on web sites/forums that has good camping gear reviews.

Feb 13, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 3
I couldn't possibly recommend you a specific tent model but I will recommend a company called eureka. During my 8 or so years in boyscouts we used eureka outfitter tents and those things never leaked on us unless it poured and they were very sturdy. I remember leaving the troop with several tents that were at least 4 years old and put through use of scouts that were still being used. The outfitter models were a little on the heavy side and probably wouldnt be good for backpacking but I bet eureka has models that are of the same quality for your usage.

Feb 14, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 3
I have been leaning toward a Eureka or Kelty. I have a few friends that swear by their Eureka Timerline tents. I dunno those tents are...well...just ugly. I think the Timberline model is also what a lot of Boy Scouts use.

I also noticed that Eureka has a tent that they make for the US Marine Corps. You can see it here. It's kinda heavy at 8.5 lbs but I really like the way it's set up, and I really like the rain fly. It's not really that expensive and if it's made for the USMC then it's gotta be sturdy, one would think. I can't find any reviews for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back