Looking for a warm DAC/AMP combo for my DT880s
Jan 25, 2014 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Royan

New Head-Fier
Hi, 

I'm new in this forum and in the Hi-Fi world. I just bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 (250ohm) a few months ago. I found they were the best overall-sounding headphones in their price range. I love their clear, cristal sound... have no complaint about their sound quality. However, I currently drive them with an Audinst HUD-MX2 DAC/AMP, wich (I think) has a neutral sound signature. To my ears, the output sound of this combo, in the most of genres I listen, lacks in terms of musicality. Slightly recessed mids, non convincing bass and harsh, sometimes piercing highs.

So, I plan to buy a tube amp in order to add warmth. I'm looking for fuller, realistic bass, more vocal presence and smoother highs. Overall a funier, lively sound but without losing the inherent clarity of these cans. I'm not a "basshead" and I'm not looking for a too dark sound, just want to get away from that cool'n'dry, metallic digital sound.

I think the Little Dot MKIII is a good choice for the price, and I really like the tube rolling posibilities on it. Reading to the Tube Rolling Thread you have for this amp, I think a pair of Mullard M8161 could give me what I'm looking for.

Do you think is it a good idea? Please give me some advice.

Thanks in advance,

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 6
I used the MKIII with the DT-990 250 ohm, and I found that it thickened up the bass a bit (not in a boomy way, just in a more weighty, fuller kind of way). It also added some midrange warmth and emphasis, and smoothed out the treble a little tiny bit, without really reducing it overall. So I think you are on the right track, but don't except a really night and day change. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for your replies. Now, the shipping cost for the LD to Chile is $76... that is $265 total, wich makes me think in the Darkvoice 336SE for $300 total, only $35 more.

Wich you recommend?

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 6
Honestly, though I haven't heard the DV, I think both are about equal from a performance perspective.  If the money matters, just get the LD. Other than that pick the one that is the most aesthetically pleasing to you.

One other consideration though is customer service. Little Dot is famous for great support after the sale, which I can personally attest to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back