Looking for a Very Flat Sound Signature (IEM)
Apr 17, 2018 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Colors

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm trying to decide between these three and not sure which I should get:

- Shure SE425
- Audio Technica ATH-IM02
- Campfire Orion
- Other (?)

Budget: $350

I'm looking for a very flat sounding IEM with an emphasis on vocals. I demo'd the SE425 and really liked the flatness (boringness?) of it. Vocals were very forward and center. I'm not sure if there's better.

I currently have ER4XR, Campfire Comet, GR07BE, RE-400 and Orveti Basic. Currently trying to fill the flat and vocal void.

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 12
IMO, among all the listed models, I find Campfire Audio Orion suits your needs. The vocals are good and the separation is amazing. Soundstage is pretty wide too :) When I get my Nova, I tried Orion and actually tempted to get it because its overall balance but I need a bit more bass so I chose Nova over Orion. Can give Orion a try!

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 12
isn't the er4xr already pretty flat? i havent tried anything on your list aside from the im02, which was basically a slightly warm er4, i think getting the im02 would be redundant.

I don't know what you look for in flat response iems (i looked for detail) but if you are mainly after increase in detail, then i suggest you save up for more expensive stuff rather than buy right now and be less concerned about having a flat response. of course if you do want flatness, there is always more expensive stuff that can "fit" the bill.

i used to prefer flat response because they were analytical and would push details forward. as the iems i bought increased in price, the further they strayed from flat response, but better quality drivers and material choices in general resulted in more detail and resolution anyway. i ended up with the 64 audio a12t. it's bass heavy, with extreme amounts of rumble. the mids are slightly warm while the highs are lifted to create more air and space. This iem is by no means flat, but it is very very detailed, far more than my previous iems, the campfire audio jupiter, which were at the time of their release, very detailed already.

tldr: if you're after detail retrieval in flat response iems, dont be too focused on having a flat response. detail retrieval also improves from having good quality drivers, so save up for a flagship at some point, it'll be vastly more detailed than anything you own.

Apr 18, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 12
Do you like your Basic? A New Primacy might work for you. Maybe read about it and see what you think. Given your preferences, it could work.

Actually, I just recieved the Basic today and I was very disappointed by them. I felt like the quantity of bass was good, but it was very muddy and had a slow decay. I might be spoiled by the ER4XR.

IMO, among all the listed models, I find Campfire Audio Orion suits your needs. The vocals are good and the separation is amazing. Soundstage is pretty wide too :) When I get my Nova, I tried Orion and actually tempted to get it because its overall balance but I need a bit more bass so I chose Nova over Orion. Can give Orion a try!

I actually may look into the Orion. Going to test the Shure SE425 again and if I don't like it, I'm going with the Orion since I've been recommended them so many times.

isn't the er4xr already pretty flat? i havent tried anything on your list aside from the im02, which was basically a slightly warm er4, i think getting the im02 would be redundant.

I don't know what you look for in flat response iems (i looked for detail) but if you are mainly after increase in detail, then i suggest you save up for more expensive stuff rather than buy right now and be less concerned about having a flat response. of course if you do want flatness, there is always more expensive stuff that can "fit" the bill.

i used to prefer flat response because they were analytical and would push details forward. as the iems i bought increased in price, the further they strayed from flat response, but better quality drivers and material choices in general resulted in more detail and resolution anyway. i ended up with the 64 audio a12t. it's bass heavy, with extreme amounts of rumble. the mids are slightly warm while the highs are lifted to create more air and space. This iem is by no means flat, but it is very very detailed, far more than my previous iems, the campfire audio jupiter, which were at the time of their release, very detailed already.

tldr: if you're after detail retrieval in flat response iems, dont be too focused on having a flat response. detail retrieval also improves from having good quality drivers, so save up for a flagship at some point, it'll be vastly more detailed than anything you own.

You're right about looking for details. It seems I just want an analytical presentation with lots of detail (the ER4XR do this very well already). I actually want the Andromeda but $1,000 is so much to save for an IEM though..

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 12
I actually may look into the Orion. Going to test the Shure SE425 again and if I don't like it, I'm going with the Orion since I've been recommended them so many times.
Sure! It will be good if you can do an A B test on the spot. Having two models to compare on the spot would be good for you in deciding :)

Apr 18, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 12
I might be spoiled by the ER4XR

yup, its definitely a very capable iem, though i doubt the basic would be comparable to the er4xr considering the price gap

$1,000 is so much to save for an IEM though..

actually i have a different recommendation. are you interested in custom iems? for about 650 usd you can get the custom art fibae 3, which i heard was really good in terms of clarity and detail retrieval and also has strong vocal performance. if you don't want customs, i believe custom art can make universals on special request, you can message @piotrus-g for more details. obviously, 300 more usd is enough money for whole other iem, but i'm still stubborn that saving up for better quality will serve you better than buying sidegrades

May 13, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 12

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'd like to thank you for your advice about saving up for a higher end IEM instead.

I recently purchased a Empire Ears Bravado ($599) and it blows away everything I have at the moment (ER4XR, Campfire Comets, GR07BE, iBasso IT01). I think it worked out better than buying two sidegrades. Saving up and purchasing a tier above is much better decision.

Thanks!

May 13, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #10 of 12
Orion or ER4SR would be the I consider the flattest.

As for Andromeda, it is not flat sounding at all so I would not consider it if you’re looking for the flat response. EE ESR is the one to get as it sounds like Orion on steroids.

May 13, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 12
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'd like to thank you for your advice about saving up for a higher end IEM instead.
This is true! I faced similar problem when I was a beginner. Bought a lot of cheap IEMs and no one suit me well. Sell off everything and now settle with my CA Nova :)

May 15, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #12 of 12

I recently purchased a Empire Ears Bravado ($599) and it blows away everything I have at the moment (ER4XR, Campfire Comets, GR07BE, iBasso IT01). I think it worked out better than buying two sidegrades. Saving up and purchasing a tier above is much better decision.

Thanks!
I'm glad you liked my advice, a lot of people give me crap for telling them to go more expensive :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back