Looking for A/V Rack + Locking Cabinet
Jan 2, 2004 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

EyEPoD

100+ Head-Fier
Well Im moving into a new apartment for next semester (found a really sweet place), and will be moving my audio gear in with me.

I need A decent shelving/rack unit for my CDP, AMP, Power Conditioner (P300, dont want it on the floor), and a lockable cabinet section to store CDs and headphones.

The locking part is necessary as we tend to throw parties once every other week or so and after having several things disappear last semester Id rather not have to worry about it.

Any suggestions? Looking to spend under $500, thanks in advance.

Jan 3, 2004 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 5
The P300 is really gonna kill it for you. They are known to overheat easily in a sealed cabinet.

I would suggest looking into a small 19" rackmount enclosure. They are usually lockable, and might be deep enough. You can always try putting the P300 diagnally on the shelf too.

You will probably have to use fans for ventilation in a sealed enclosure.

BUT, they're huge and heavy. Not something you'd want to move alot.

*edit*
Oh, you don't need to lock up the P300 or amp? Hmm... Do you have an IKEA near you? They have a lot of cool stuff.

-Ed

Jan 3, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 5
The gear doesnt have to go in the locking portion, just the headphones and cds. I was hoping to have a locking portion at the botton and open shelving at the top, providing plenty of ventilation to the CDP, amp, and P300.

(edit: oops, hehe didnt see your edit, ill try Ikea this weekend, they just built one about 1/2 mile from campus, thanks)

Jan 3, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 5
There is a great and inexpensive little rack with a glass door at Ikea. It doesn't lock, but you can probably go to Home Depot and get a locking mechanism for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back