Looking for a USB to Toslink Converter
Feb 24, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 17
Anyone see a deal or even a in stock on a decent USB to toslink converter?
How decent? Higher end stuff there’s Singxer, cheaper stuff there’s Gustard U16, entry level stuff there’s SMSL X-USB. A DAC that can accept USB in and Optical out is Topping D10s, a DAC/amp combo that can do the same is Fostex HP-A4 or HP-A4BL (or HP-A8 I think)

Feb 24, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 17
How decent? Higher end stuff there’s Singxer, cheaper stuff there’s Gustard U16, entry level stuff there’s SMSL X-USB. A DAC that can accept USB in and Optical out is Topping D10s, a DAC/amp combo that can do the same is Fostex HP-A4 or HP-A4BL (or HP-A8 I think)
Under 100 for now. I cannot use the USB in of my dac.
I have to use optical in (toslink)

I need something simple and clean, that allows me to connect from USB of my laptop to optical out to my dac.
I need this device to NOT have a dac

Feb 24, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 17

I need something simple and clean, that allows me to connect from USB of my laptop to optical out to my dac.
Then probably SMSL X-USB I/II unless you can find a used Topping D10 or D10s

Feb 24, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 17
OK looks like the xusb is hard to find somewhere in USA to buy.
The toppind10 or d10s(which is better for my needs)? I guess I can hunt for a used one. But will it allow me to bypass its dac?
I believe they are almost the same. D10s is newer (so more expensive new and used), measures better as a DAC but in terms of as a converter they are the same. It will bypass the DAC because digital in digital out

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 17

You should just replace your DAC then. Adding a USB to Toslink adapter could potentially introduce more jitter into the chain and Toslink has limits on what it can output. Might as well just get a new DAC that can clock itself internally (USB async) so there's no jitter, and can run at whatever audio resolution your computer can output.

Feb 24, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 17
Anyone see a deal or even a in stock on a decent USB to toslink converter?
Low cost USB to toslink converter, check eBay, they usually ship from China.

Feb 24, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 17
Schiit Eitr .

Feb 24, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #12 of 17
I think I already sent you this @InstantSilence did you find something you didn't like about it? It's exactly what you're looking for:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R8138XL

It presents itself to your computer as an ES9018 XMOS interface, but there's no DAC in it, it's just a digital to digital converter. That driver is just there so you can use full ASIO with it.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #13 of 17
I think I already sent you this @InstantSilence did you find something you didn't like about it? It's exactly what you're looking for:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R8138XL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It presents itself to your computer as an ES9018 XMOS interface, but there's no DAC in it, it's just a digital to digital converter. That driver is just there so you can use full ASIO with it.
Hey RA!
Yes I got the thing and it worked great and even sounded good until all of a sudden it went dead on me, and the little red light on it (indicating its receiving power) died on meh! And so I went to pick it up to see and it was Hooooot! Ever since then it died and so return I did!

Now I'm looking for something else. I'm hoping anything clean and simple for a good sound.

By the way, I listened to a few tracks from your album you made and absolutely loved it. Even more so on my lcd4z. I think I'm gonna sell the abyss

Feb 24, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #14 of 17
Oh no! I used it for a few weeks and was happy with it until I found my mobo had a TOSlink port on it already that did 192k without a hitch. It did run hot though, I remember that. That makes sense now.

Thanks for listening! I really appreciate it...just dabbling in it for now but I do hope to spend more time on my music after retirement. Being an audiophile, I make sure I record with a high dynamic range and don't go for loudness. Plus, I mixed mostly everything on the mTT2!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #15 of 17
Oh no! I used it for a few weeks and was happy with it until I found my mobo had a TOSlink port on it already that did 192k without a hitch. It did run hot though, I remember that. That makes sense now.

Thanks for listening! I really appreciate it...just dabbling in it for now but I do hope to spend more time on my music after retirement. Being an audiophile, I make sure I record with a high dynamic range and don't go for loudness. Plus, I mixed mostly everything on the mTT2!
That is sweeeeet! I wish more artists made recordings happen with audiophile gear in mind. It's so much more enjoyable.

For your recording ease and speed, look into. Oeksound Spiff. I think you'd like the plug in, it tames or boosts transients without fidelity loss it's a marvel.

I wish there was a portable player that also allowed USB Mini or c or whatver and optical out, via bypassing its dap lol. I need a portable dap too to use with my earbuds at the gym.
2 birds, 1 stone... Not gonna exist for me huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back