Looking for a USB DAC/AMP like E10k w/ line-in
Mar 2, 2015 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

aleksanderp

Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for a USB DAC/AMP like E10k but with line-in so that it can also be used as AMP only when needed. I also don't want to deal with battery or external power source. Budget is <$100. Does such a thing exist? Thanks.

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 16
It seems like your looking for a USB sound card.
Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 ($80).
pdt_21712.png.ashx

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for the suggestion, that looks interesting, couple of questions:

1. My speaker only has one 3.5mm connection, can I use it on the C/sub output at the back?
2. Anywhere I can find the output power of the AMP? I need to drive a HE-400i.

Thanks again.

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 16
  Thanks for the suggestion, that looks interesting, couple of questions:

1. My speaker only has one 3.5mm connection, can I use it on the C/sub output at the back?
2. Anywhere I can find the output power of the AMP? I need to drive a HE-400i.

Thanks again.

Is your speaker setup a 2.1?
I would think the Omni would drive the HE-400i at least decently.
Not sure what is the output power of the Omni amplifier..

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 16
My speaker is a very old stereo speaker, is that 2.1? I definitely don't have a 5.1 system so I am not so sure if my speaker will work on Omni?

Edit:
O, looks like they do come with RCA->3.5mm female adapter, so I guess I can use that then.  This looks like what I am looking for, thanks for your suggestion.

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

My speaker is a very old stereo speaker, is that 2.1? I definitely don't have a 5.1 system so I am not so sure if my speaker will work on Omni?

If it has two satellites and a subwoofer, that's 2.1 - 2=Left and Right, x.1 = subwoofer. Similarly, in 5.1, 5 = Front Left, Rear Left, Center, Rear Right, Front Right.

Quote:

If you use the C/Sub output you will get only the output meant for the sub and center channel. You will essentially be listening to mono, but I think it will only be one speaker, plus the sub (if you have one).

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #7 of 16

If it has two satellites and a subwoofer, that's 2.1 - 2=Left and Right, x.1 = subwoofer. Similarly, in 5.1, 5 = Front Left, Rear Left, Center, Rear Right, Front Right.

If you use the C/Sub output you will get only the output meant for the sub and center channel. You will essentially be listening to mono, but I think it will only be one speaker, plus the sub (if you have one).

I see, thanks for the explanation.  Do you know how's the quality of sound of the Omni? I was not able to find many review/comparison w/ FiiO or other DAC/AMP.

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #8 of 16

I see, thanks for the explanation.  Do you know how's the quality of sound of the Omni? I was not able to find many review/comparison w/ FiiO or other DAC/AMP.

I think I got to try it briefly during a meet; wasn't impressed with how it did music, but for games, I wouldn't really worry about it. I mean, you'd easily be more anal with music since preferably you're just listening; when gaming, you'd be too busy fragging to notice much less get annoyed with how the explosion doesn't sound as impressive as with another headphone. You'd notice comfort issues a lot more than response issues unless you're using an absolutely crappy headphone or whatever is driving it. These days even a <$50 Superlux is good enough, and as for what's driving it, the more important feature is virtual surround.

BTW I use my thumb-drive sized Xonar U3 on my Aurisonics ASG-1.3 and Superlux HD330, and playing music with all DSP tricks switched off, my Ibasso D-Zero sounds identical at sane listening levels. DSP does more to affect the sound than the amplifiation circuit actually. On gaming they're not comparable - the Xonar U3 and its DSP works a lot better than Razer Surround on the Ibasso (I'm not even sure if it's actually working any way I use that program).

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #9 of 16
Thanks for the explanation. I do not game though, mostly using it for music. I do have a dragonfly, but getting tired of constantly unplugging it from the laptop and plugging it to desktop when I switch station. Hence I want to have something semi-permanently plugged in to the desktop, while having the flexibility of using it as an AMP for dragonfly when needed.

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 16

For the features your looking for, I do not think you will find any better, audio quality wise.

I guess one option is to get the FiiO E10K and a separate USB microphone?

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #12 of 16
  Thanks for the explanation. I do not game though, mostly using it for music. I do have a dragonfly, but getting tired of constantly unplugging it from the laptop and plugging it to desktop when I switch station. Hence I want to have something semi-permanently plugged in to the desktop, while having the flexibility of using it as an AMP for dragonfly when needed.

Then don't replace the E10K with the external soundcard; at best you'll just be spending for a marginal drop in SQ. For that kind of money your best bet for USB and analog input is a portable - the Ibasso D-Zero MkII for example is primarily a DAC-HPamp but it also has a dual use 3.5mm jack that can be used as a line-in direct to the amp circuit or as a fixed level line-out. Past that there's the Aune T1 DAC(w/tube output stage)-HPamp, but that's $199.

What source are you planning to use it with anyway, since you needed the analog input to use only the amp? If it's just so you can use anything else besides your computer, the D-Zero MkII's USB input also works with Android and iOS devices with an OTG or CCK-USB adapter.

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #13 of 16
Ya, a portable like E11k will do all I want (I don't have a E10k nor E11k yet), except I don't want to deal with the inevitable death of the battery. Does the iBasso have a user replaceable battery btw?

I am planning to have it semi-permanently plugged to the desktop and use the USB as source.  While having the ability to use the dragonfly's output as source if needed because I am not sure I can get a better DAC than the dragonfly at this price range...

Hope this make sense...

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #14 of 16
  Ya, a portable like E11k will do all I want (I don't have a E10k nor E11k yet), except I don't want to deal with the inevitable death of the battery. Does the iBasso have a user replaceable battery btw?

I am planning to have it semi-permanently plugged to the desktop and use the USB as source.  While having the ability to use the dragonfly's output as source if needed because I am not sure I can get a better DAC than the dragonfly at this price range...

The E11K takes in only analog inputs, and the analog input is in front; I dont know about you but snaking the cable towards there from any source other than a portable player strapped on to it (at which point bulk is a problem for me) feels like a mess of cables. Good DAC-HPamps are only a bit more money.

User-replaceable here can mean something a bit different to some - if you mean something like swapping out the Nokia battery or batteries on some Androids, then no, it doesn't. Given an iPod for example I have more difficulty prying it open with a spatula than hooking up the cables on the replacement battery.

Just one note though - I have the orignal D-Zero and use it for roughly 3 to 4 hours each day at work and at home (I dont use it all the time at work), and I usually only charge it full once every three to four weeks. I use a real charger for that that I use for all my devices (a portable surge protector with 3xthree prong outlets and 3 USB ports), then when using it, I have charging disabled via the switch to reduce the perpetual charge-discharge cycle on the battery that builds up the kind of heat and wear+tear that reduces battery life.

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #15 of 16
Ah, you are right about the E11k. I misread...

I wish the portables have some smart charging circuit that when the charge is between a certain threshold, say 70-80% charge, it will stop charging and run off USB power. Then I don't need to worry so much about battery life when semi-permanently plug in the DAC/AMP.  Do they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back