Looking for a usb DAC/Amp for my DT770s
Oct 10, 2011 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Computerpro3

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been out of the game for several years - in fact, since the head-fi site redesign.  I used to be seriously into it with a modded Melos SHA Gold, Grado RS1's, etc, etc but for the last few years I've been okay with just my IEM's and DT770's 80 ohm for computer use.

That being said, the headphone out of my desktop PC is really bad.  I'm looking for a usb DAC/Amp combo with a decent headphone output for the DT770's under $300.  I would love something like the Benchmark usb, but it's out of my price range right now - this is not my main hifi rig, so I just need something decent as opposed to sublime.  Main music is classical and jazz, though I love rock as well.  I like an energetic signature - Grado's were my favorite cans (though can't beat the DT770's for gaming and bass dynamics in a closed can).

I feel totally lost - everything has changed since I last was interested in this hobby.  So many new companies and options out there...

Any suggestions?

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 3
With that sort of budget there are a few options, Fiio or iBasso products or maybe even a Cambridge Audio DacMagic.  I myself am pretty new to this business but have done lots of research in the last 3 years, I have limited buying experience so like to stick with familiar brands.  There are lots of manufacturers and even more opinions but I dont think you can go too far wrong if you do a little reading.  I personally ended up buying a Fiio E7/E9 combo and have been more than happy with it in terms of value for money.  Upgrading is always a problem and I am currently looking to move on from this to something a little more "high-end" hence being back here doing yet more research.

I wish you luck with your search, and hope you get some more experienced advice.

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 3
The Centrance Dacport would be a nice choice. I have paired it with some DT880's with good results. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back