looking for a upgrade from denon ahd 550 to sony headphones
Mar 10, 2006 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

timcodes

Head-Fier
Hi there,

You guys have been really helpful in suggesting high end headphones. They were:
- Sennheiser HD-650
- AKG K 701
- Beyerdynamic DT880 (actually closer to $220 for these)
- Sony SA5000s

But they are out of my budget and I have gift certificates to sony store.

I'm wondering though are any of these audiophile quality? Are these better than my denon ahd 550 - rated frequency range 3hz - 28,000 hz?

Stereo Headphones
MDR-SA1000 rated 8hz-80000hz $199

Studio Monitor Series DJ Headphones
MDR-V700DJ rated 5hz-30000hz $149

Studio Monitor Series Headphones
MDR-XD400 : rated 5hz-30000hz $100

I really want to get a good headphone, how much better is the sa1000 over the mdr xd400? Or even my denon one for that matter?

Please help me out. I really want one
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by timcodes
Hi there,

You guys have been really helpful in suggesting high end headphones. They were:
- Sennheiser HD-650
- AKG K 701
- Beyerdynamic DT880 (actually closer to $220 for these)
- Sony SA5000s

But they are out of my budget and I have gift certificates to sony store.

I'm wondering though are any of these audiophile quality? Are these better than my denon ahd 550 - rated frequency range 3hz - 28,000 hz?

Stereo Headphones
MDR-SA1000 rated 8hz-80000hz $199

Studio Monitor Series DJ Headphones
MDR-V700DJ rated 5hz-30000hz $149

Studio Monitor Series Headphones
MDR-XD400 : rated 5hz-30000hz $100

I really want to get a good headphone, how much better is the sa1000 over the mdr xd400? Or even my denon one for that matter?

Please help me out. I really want one
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

I currently own the V700's and I know many people who have owned them over the years. The bass is better on these headphones than any other pair of headphones I've ever tried, but the ergonomics are murder (that feeling that your ears are about to start spurting blood doesen't go away as you break in the headphones) and I have never seen a pair of these last longer than 2.5 years without disintegrating. There is just too much tension squeezing your head together and the joints on the swiveling parts of the ears just stress fracture and fall apart. I've seen it happen in 4 other pairs and now my pair is going. That's how I found this thread.

I am torn between the MDR-SA1000's (can be had for ~$100) and the MDR-XD400's (can be had for ~$70). I wish I could find better pictures of the 400's. I'd like more detail on how the music/movies switch works and I'd like someone to tell me which is more comfortable and likley to last for the ages.

I get the idea that all three headphones pretty much use the same drivers.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/acemcmac/IMG_0720.JPG

Mar 13, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 14
I'd really like some input comparing the SA1000's and the XD400's to the V700DJ's.

I want to buy either the XD400 or the SA1000 within the next 48 hours and I'm not sure if the extra 30-40$ is worth it for the SA1000 since I get the idea that all three of these headphones use the same drivers.

Mar 13, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by acemcmac
I currently own the V700's and I know many people who have owned them over the years. The bass is better on these headphones than any other pair of headphones I've ever tried
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/acemcmac/IMG_0720.JPG

Try a pair of Sony MDR-7506 (MDR-V6). Better bass than the 700DJ's, and way cleaner overall. With my 700's I had to do some funky EQing, but I hardly have to touch the 7506s. Some say they're too clinical (they are flat-response monitoring headphones, afterall) but they can warm up with a good EQ.

Mar 13, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by toastmaster
Try a pair of Sony MDR-7506 (MDR-V6). Better bass than the 700DJ's, and way cleaner overall.

Won't be much of an upgrade from the Denon AH-D550 though... the two headphones are fairly similar in sound quality.

Mar 13, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitoedleon
^ Hush! Now nobody will want to buy my headphones at my price. Not that there was ever any interest anyway
tongue.gif

sorry, i was just really really lucky, your price seems to be more than reasonable!

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
The XD400 is the most well-regarded of those choices.

Would you mind elaborating on that?

I'm leaning towards the SA1000's even though I have lingering concerns about the ability of DJ headphones to stand the test of time. I got the idea from all of the other comparisons I've read that they are a good compromise of over-all sound quality and heavy bass between the V6's and the XD400's

confused.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by acemcmac
Would you mind elaborating on that?

I'm leaning towards the SA1000's even though I have lingering concerns about the ability of DJ headphones to stand the test of time. I got the idea from all of the other comparisons I've read that they are a good compromise of over-all sound quality and heavy bass between the V6's and the XD400's

confused.gif

I've read a lot of good reviews about the XD400. By all reports, they are a satisfying listen and a fairly good value.

The SA1000 is more of a love hate thing. Some people rave about the details and clarity, others say it sounds too bright and thin. And they have build issues, especially with the cable.

I guess you should pick your headphone based on your listening tastes and music - any reason why you're only considering Sony products? There are lots of good alternatives around.

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I've read a lot of good reviews about the XD400. By all reports, they are a satisfying listen and a fairly good value.

The SA1000 is more of a love hate thing. Some people rave about the details and clarity, others say it sounds too bright and thin. And they have build issues, especially with the cable.

I guess you should pick your headphone based on your listening tastes and music - any reason why you're only considering Sony products? There are lots of good alternatives around.

Well... I had tried the Senn 555's and I was really dissapointed with the bass on it. I guess I've just been listening to Sony's for too long. I had been primarily looking at the Icemat Siberia's, but the idea of having to trade off ANY of the bass response from the V700's scares me
frown.gif

When I realized that there were two sony headphones that had similar drivers and a similar price bracket, they instantly got my attention and I found this thread.

From the reviews I've read, the X400 and the SA1000's are super comfortable and the SA1000's have slightly less impactful bass but have much better distinctions across the ranges and sound less muddy. I have lingering concerns about the durabiltiy of sony's dj headphones after my terrible experience with the v700's so I thought I'd start asking questions. I wish there was a place I could demo these cans
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back