Looking for a turntable for under $500
Feb 21, 2010 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Blnd2Spll

New Head-Fier
I'm not a serious audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, but I would like to try to get something that can be coupled with a quality cartridge for a good solid sound.

The only things I am able to find so far in this price range are the Rega P1, the Pro-Ject debut 3, and the Music Hall MMF 2.2. I've read some mediocre reviews about the first two of these, though I don't really know how the Music Hall tables are received. I'm not averse to buying a used table, but I don't really know how to tell apart a quality vintage table from a junk vintage table so I've been having trouble sifting through all of the possibilities.

Are there any other TTs I should consider looking at within this price range?

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 11
I can imagine how challenging it is. It's been some time since I sold a right kidney and a left testicle to buy a Michell Gyrodec and Ortofon tone arm. I didn't know much about turntables either.

Have a look here:

Turntable reviews and Turntable Best Buys - from the experts at whathifi.com

Project get pretty good reviews from the magazine. In particular this one for its price:
147450f45th.jpg

I'm desperately pining for my turntable. Being away from home, I'm thinking about getting a second turntable to carry around - one of those in the flight cases like the DJ Technics or Vestax ones which aren't prone to break if moved around a lot. Otherwise, have a look at the reviews. It's important to have a good looking turntable too. Or maybe that's just me
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 11
Just look at this one too:

BMR169314.jpg

Does anyone know much about it? It's a Vestax Cube CM-01 lifestyle turntable. It looks fabulous!

Might be a little more than $500 though...

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 11
If you're starting out, you might consider trying Craigslist and pairing it w/ a decent cartridge. I found an older Pioneer for $25 and put on an Orotofon OM10, IIRC. It sounded great and costs me maybe $75 total.

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just look at this one too:

BMR169314.jpg

Does anyone know much about it? It's a Vestax Cube CM-01 lifestyle turntable. It looks fabulous!

Might be a little more than $500 though...

OK, maybe I'm missing something, but... the controls are inaccessible (or at least dangerously inconvenient) when the tonearm is on its rest, and you apparently have to flip the tonearm around 90+ degrees over your record to get it into the correct orientation?

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 11
Oops.

why is that dangerous? The controls aren't required till the tonearm is on the vinyl LP, which floats away from the deck. The design means that the deck size is actually undersized for the 12" vinyl....

It's a proper DJ deck - more rugged and robust than the static home deck I have. One piece tone arm. I guess I'm just swayed completely by the looks! No idea if it's any good or not, but at that price.....

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Oops.

why is that dangerous? The controls aren't required till the tonearm is on the vinyl LP, which floats away from the deck. The design means that the deck size is actually undersized for the 12" vinyl....

It's a proper DJ deck - more rugged and robust than the static home deck I have. One piece tone arm. I guess I'm just swayed completely by the looks! No idea if it's any good or not, but at that price.....

Well, I don't know how it works in the DJ world, but in hifi most people spin up the turntable before dropping the needle, so you would need to hit the power switch before moving the tonearm. Maybe that switch is not under the tonearm -- it's not obvious from the picture. Regardless (again, from the hifi perspective -- DJ needles can take it), it's silly to have to move the tonearm over a section of the record that is spinning in a direction that would likely destroy the stylus if it were inadvertently dropped.

I can see how someone might like the minimalist design, but it really seems like they've sacrificed too much utility for aesthetics.

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 11
I second the "vintage" approach with a new cartridge. My starter TT was a Mitsubishi DP-6 from around the late 60's from my dad's attic. I did get the OM10 cartridge. It has worked well for a couple of years. I recently upgraded, and have 2 of my 3 kids vying for the vintage turntable.

You really should be able to find a used, old, vintage, starter, whatever turntable for under a hundred, and if you are lucky, a Technics 1200 deck that is not trashed for a couple of hundred. The OM10 will set you back $125 or so. $500 is an easy budget, as long as you don't listen to the snobbery that surrounds current vinyl culture.

That being said, my current set up is ~ $2200, and does sound better, but I can't say at this point its 2K better at this point. The upgraditis disease says I need a better phono stage, amp, and listening room. (actually I still have a lot of fiddling and setup work to do yet)

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rederanged /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I don't know how it works in the DJ world, but in hifi most people spin up the turntable before dropping the needle, so you would need to hit the power switch before moving the tonearm. Maybe that switch is not under the tonearm -- it's not obvious from the picture. Regardless (again, from the hifi perspective -- DJ needles can take it), it's silly to have to move the tonearm over a section of the record that is spinning in a direction that would likely destroy the stylus if it were inadvertently dropped.

I can see how someone might like the minimalist design, but it really seems like they've sacrificed too much utility for aesthetics.

It's not actually that difficult with the CM-01. Maybe this image shows how to turn it on and off better? Because the platter is clear acrylic, maybe the dimensions/space between the tone arm and platter don't come across as well:

media.nl;jsessionid=0a010c551f43dac6a6136a7e4209953c8a1d15fd7946.e3eSc38RbhuLe34Pa38Ta38Mbhn0

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

It's not actually that difficult with the CM-01. Maybe this image shows how to turn it on and off better? Because the platter is clear acrylic, maybe the dimensions/space between the tone arm and platter don't come across as well:

Ah, OK. It looks like there's a fair amount of clearance between the tonearm and the controls, so I withdraw that objection. I still don't like the idea of swinging the tonearm so far across the record, especially since it doesn't look like there's a cueing control. Definitely a cool looking deck, though.
smile.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #11 of 11
It does take some time to get used to its looks and function, doesn't it?

Here's another view:

570814.jpg

Apparently it has a line level output to the amplifier too as well as phono leads. Despite being a DJ marketed deck, it's not for scratching! But the tone arm can probably play when the deck is wall mounted 90 degrees!
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back