Looking For A Turntable ~$100
Jun 28, 2008 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FarFromCentre

Head-Fier
I'm looking to get into vinyl, I only have a few vinyl records so far, so I don't want to go all out on a turntable (yet...
cool.gif
). I'm looking to spend about $100 for everything (or at least start at $100). I don't really know anything about turntable maintenance, cleaning vinyls, or even how to exactly play a vinyl. So guides on that kind of thing would be great
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 7
It is hard to believe that you have never dropped a needle to an LP; but, then I never used a computer until I graduated from college. That was a few years ago...

In the past, I have seen turntables (TT) at Best Buy or Circuit City at around $100; Sony, I think. This turntable would more than likely come with a cartidge and stylus. You would also need a phono pre-amp to raise the TT signal to line level for use with an amp. Phono pre-amps, on the cheap, can be picked up a Radio Shack or Phonopreamps.com Home Page.

Jun 28, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 7
Look for used Technics Direct Drive tables. I have seen many at Goodwill and Salvation Army stores for under $50.00.

Jun 28, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 7
2nd hand via craigslist or local press is the way to go for this budget. here's a list I made previously http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/low...source-228059/

See if there is a vintage reciever there with a phonostage while you're at it or else get the radioshack one mentioned above. Also budget for a replacment stylus (needle) for whatever deck you get. These start around 25USD.

Jun 28, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 7
Were you not so far away, I would give you one of mine. I have too many.

Laz

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by FarFromCentre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could pay shipping if its not that expensive... If not, thanks for the offer
smily_headphones1.gif

They're a pain to ship, and shipping is not good on them. I'm sure you can do well where you are by garage saleing or estate saleing. Craigslist is a good place to look, and eBay also, if the seller is not a packing jerk. The last TT I got was an estate-sale Denon with their version of the Bio-Tracer arm and Grado cart. $25 - bargans are out there. I am currently doing the set-up tweaks on a Dual, for myself, also picked up at a sale for $25. If you don't find anything by the end of garage sale season, drop me a PM.

Laz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back