Looking for a tube amp to make my rs1 and CD3000 shine
Feb 1, 2008 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Wildsurfer

100+ Head-Fier
It's time for my first participation to the amp forum
tongue.gif

I currently own a Meier Audio Corda Aria that I bought to have a good computer based source first, and see what would match my headphones better later.
Now is time to look for something else. As for the headphones I use with the amplifier, I have : Grado RS1, Sony CD3000 and AKG340. The Aria does fine with the K340, but I can't say that aria/rs1 and aria/cd3000 are great matches. I've always been told that those three headphones needed a tube amp to shine, does everybody agree with this ? My main objective is to get a warmer sound, with the aria the rs1's highs can be a bit irritating and the cd3000's midrange sounds a bit too flat for my taste. Those two headphones are really important to me, I want them to sound at their best, I may sell the K340 but not those two.

Anyway, needed or not, I'd like to try a tube amp. My budget is not hudge, let's say around 400$ but I have no problem with looking at the FS forums or waiting a bit longer to save more money if it's really worth it. In fact, I have only one restriction : the size. I don't need something really small but I'll have to move to another country in a few months and I don't want to have an enormous amp in my luggage. A friend of mine bought a Mapletree HD2, size-wise it's the maximum acceptable for me.

The options I have considered :
- Mapletree Audio : their models are supposed to be really great with the rs1, my friend tells me it's true but I still I have to listen. Does anybody have one paired with a cd3000 ? If anybody has a link explaining the differences between their models, that'd be really great, their website is so ugly and messy...
- RSA raptor : really out of my budget, but so classy, I might be interested if a good price occured in the fs forums.
- SP PPX3 : seems really good with a wide range of headphones
- Darkvoice 337 : OMG 15kg !!!
- Little Dot : heard the 2++, it wasn't great so I'm not really confident with trying the little dot 3
- Melos SHA-1 : really tempted but too big
- earmax pro : tiny, but I find it really ugly. I know it should be only about the sound, and it usually is, but here I can't, too ugly for me.
- ArtMusic : Never heard of this brand here, but a french high end ebay retailer sells their models, and their AM650 is quite tempting, anybody tried ?

Of course I won't restrict my choice to these models, so feel free to give your opinion on what you have or have tried.
Thanks a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #5 of 13
Hybrid Millet Max.
I heard it with RS-2 & MS-2i, a bit bright but has the speed of solid-state, punchy bass, and crisp treble.

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 13
Mapletree is a good Product. A product of equal quality and value. Is the WA6 from Woo Audio. They are manufactured in the USA . It is a Triode design. Better impedence matching with the low impedance phone. And it has a narrow footprint. It has good iron and is heavy as a result. I enjoy mine with a wide range of phones. All Woo products offer great value. And Jack Wu is an Audio Good Guy.

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 13
I've never directly compared the two, but as long as I've been on this board, the MAD and Singlepower amps have always gotten good marks for working well with RS-1s.

The Singlepowers are a bit more expensive, but I've been using a MPX-3 Slam with my RS-1s for a couple years now and still have no urge to upgrade.

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 13
How is the sound, do the tubes bring the rs1 a fairly good amount of warmth ?

Some tube amps are designed so that the signature is not too warm, but that's not what I want, the rs1 is a bit too bright for me with a ss amp...

Feb 7, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #12 of 13
As much as I love the RS1s, I had the same problem with them when using SS amplification. They were just a bit too bright with a little harshness at the the high end. The move to tubes smoothed that out perfectly.

My MXP3 can sound quite different depending on the tubes I put in it. Some tubes will give a definite warm sound, while other can take it to the point where it sounds nearly SS. Fortunately, there are combinations that are just right.

For me, it's all about adding just a touch of warmth, reducing the high end fatigue and keeping all the punch and dynamics. If that sounds like your cup of tea, the Slam series amps are definitely worth checking into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back