Looking for a tube amp for my HD650'S (Budget ~$300)
Jan 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rt310

100+ Head-Fier
Just got my hd650's a few days ago and was looking for a good tube amp/dac to pair it up with. I dont have much money to spend, so one in the $300 price range would be nice, although if i really need to i can raise the budget.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 9
Look into The Project Sunrise II amp. If you have soldering skills you can buy it incredibly cheap, otherwise they sell them pre-built for a little under $300. I have one for my He-500 and it drives them perfectly I would recommend looking into new tubes though at some point as the stock ones aren't the greatest

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
Look into The Project Sunrise II amp. If you have soldering skills you can buy it incredibly cheap, otherwise they sell them pre-built for a little under $300. I have one for my He-500 and it drives them perfectly I would recommend looking into new tubes though at some point as the stock ones aren't the greatest

Thanks, i'll look into that. Are there any other amps that sound good when paired with the hd650s?

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 9
x2 on the Crack.  That thing sounds amazing with the HD600's. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 9
The instruction is exceptionally good with this one! As long as you are familiar with basic electronics and soldering, and have the time and courage to try, you should be fine. Having said that, there are tons of help you can get from this forum and Bottlehead forum. You can even have it factory pre-build (roughly doubles the price) or have someone else more experienced to build one for you (cheaper). I myself have build 3 cracks - 2 for friends and 1 for me (see here for pics: http://www.head-fi.org/t/476650/crack-bottlehead-otl/1380#post_9011077). Once you have done it, it is not hard at all. You can even go beyond the manual by cutting the wires at exact length for great look, or use upgraded components for better SQ. I do expect to have some time to spare for a few weekends ahead, so you can PM me if you need help.

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
The instruction is exceptionally good with this one! As long as you are familiar with basic electronics and soldering, and have the time and courage to try, you should be fine. Having said that, there are tons of help you can get from this forum and Bottlehead forum. You can even have it factory pre-build (roughly doubles the price) or have someone else more experienced to build one for you (cheaper). I myself have build 3 cracks - 2 for friends and 1 for me (see here for pics: http://www.head-fi.org/t/476650/crack-bottlehead-otl/1380#post_9011077). Once you have done it, it is not hard at all. You can even go beyond the manual by cutting the wires at exact length for great look, or use upgraded components for better SQ. I do expect to have some time to spare for a few weekends ahead, so you can PM me if you need help.

x2 again.  I hadn't soldered a darn thing in my life before the Crack.  Now all I want to do is build more Cracks. 
blink.gif
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back