Looking for a tube amp around the ~400 or 500 dollar price range.
Dec 22, 2014 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dude120

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I've recently gotten the itch to upgrade again, and am looking towards a tube amp for my next step in delving into the world of high end audio.
I currently have a pair of mad dogs and sennheiser HD 650's. I was wondering if tube amps worked well with both the mad dogs and my sennheisers or I've would need to grab a different set for each headphone. I'm currently looking toward the Schiit Valhalla 2 and the little dot MK III or IV. I have heard mixed reviews about the Valhalla not being able to drive orthodynamic headphones well, though I figured I would ask some of the experts here on the forums who may be able to shed light on the matter. If anyone has any other suggestions on amplifiers in my price range those would be greatly appreciated as well.

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 2
I've the original Valhalla (1); it is a wonderful match with the HD 650's. Especially with the original, I would NOT pair it with phones that drop much below 200 ohm impedance, and/or are super current hungry. The next one up their line, the tube/SS hybrid that escapes my memory for the moment, should be a better match for your ortho's...that thing will supposedly drive about anything on the planet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back