Looking for a suitable player for my earphones
Sep 12, 2014 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

lazypanda

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm using the westones w40s and I'm wondering what kind of music/media player can I get? I'm still a newbie in these sound stuff, but I'm trying to learn as I go. Thanks for the help guys! xD

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 12
Hmmm i don't think I'm looking for an ak because it's really expensive for me. I guess my budget would be lesser than 200SGD?

What about the fiio x3. It also has a usb dac if you wanna hook it up to your computer/laptop

The dx50 is a bit above your budget. The fiio x1 is coming out soon too. Or you can get a sansa clip :)

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 12
What differences do you want to know? There's a lot lol.

They all would work well with the w40. Honestly, your phone or a sansa clip would also work. There's people running their se846($1000) out of their phones. The differences aren't day and night. You pay for the small differences in sound quality and the extra features. If you have other headphones that require more power then they would make more of a difference.

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #9 of 12
So in terms of sound quality, what are the differences? And I'm using my iphone to play my music now, will it have any big difference if i were to use a dx50?

I think it would be best for you to try it yourself. It varies from person to person because we perceive the differences differently.

Let's just say when I was testing some friends who didn't know the value of my equipment, most of them could not tell the difference between my phone, sansa clip, dx90, and ak120.

There is a difference and you'll have to decide if that difference is worth it for the price you're paying. I'd mainly focus on the features it can offer rather than the sound quality.

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #11 of 12
Longer battery life(sometimes)
not being connected to your phone has it's benefits
equalizer
better sound quality(sometimes?)
USB DAC
lower impedance(if your IEMs hiss with your phone)
playing most formats, including 192k/24bit
more power to drive higher impedance headphones that phones cant really drive
line out/coaxial out
able to switch gain
more control over volume. dx50 has 0-255 instead of 0-10 like some phones
more storage, and expandable storage
cue sheet support

and my favorite is the buttons. it's something simple, but it allows you to switch songs without taking it out of your pocket or looking at the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back