Looking for a sub $300 pair of headphones for music(home listening).
Aug 30, 2008 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Trax416

Head-Fier
So, basically this will be my first pair of headphones that are of any type of quality. I purchased a 5.1 headset not to long ago, but realized my mistake after reading various sites and hearing the horrible quality.

The headphones will be used with an Onkyo TXSR-505 playing music that comes from my computer, cd's and various other sources. Mainly over Foobar2000 using an untouched bit single (if I can get that working). I might be picking up a Sony 902 later in the year if that makes any type of difference.

I listen to all types of music, but have been focusing on Hard rock lately.

So if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

I have also seen many people using Mini amps just for their headphones, that go into the computer (DAC I assume). If I am correct, I do not need one if I am using a receiver correct?

Thanks for any help.

Aug 30, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 14
Home theater receivers have built-in DACs. I used to own an Onkyo HT receiver; I was disappointed with the headphone out quality.

Get an inexpensive pair of Grados and save up for a nice DAC and amp.

Are there any Head-Fi meets in your area?

Aug 30, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Home theater receivers have built-in DACs. I used to own an Onkyo HT receiver; I was disappointed with the headphone out quality.

Get an inexpensive pair of Grados and save up for a nice DAC and amp.

Are there any Head-Fi meets in your area?

Not sure if there are any meets going on in Toronto. I will have to check the boards.

Do you have any links to information where I can read about DAC/Amps for headphones? I am not familiar with them, or really know where to start.

Aug 30, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 14
Try the amp forums, the computer as a source forums and the dedicated source forums. There are no shortages of amps to look at, dac's seem to be a little more limited, especially for the computer. As for headphones, I would look at grado sr-80 or sr 125 and spend the rest on/save up for an amp and or dac.

Aug 30, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 14
you can probably get some HD595s and an amp for 300 if you buy the phones 2nd hand (around 150 on these boards and perhaps on ebay).

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #7 of 14
Your receiver does not have pre-amp output, so there is no point in using a headphone amp with it. You could get a portable amp to go with your cell phone. The only portable amp that's really impressed me so far is the TTVJ Millett Hybrid portable. TTVJ Millett Hybrid Amp - $459.00 : TTVJ, Todd The Vinyl Junkie

The HD555 is a much better value than the HD595.

I like the Pacific Valve modified DAC-AH hooked up to my Creek amp. Other DACs that I've owned and recommend include the Headroom MicroDAC and Lavry Black DA10.

Aug 30, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 14
There are several portable amps/dacs I don't follow them though because I diy all my stuff, another option possibly worth considering.

Aug 30, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 14
You might run with a pair of Grado SR-125's and a Total Bithead amp/dac for around $300.

You might just want to get a really nice set of cans and get the dac/amp later. In that case, Grado 225s might be a nice rock 'n' roll choice or the 325i's if you want to hit your 300 dollar max. I'd get good phones and worry about dac/amp later.

Aug 30, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for all the tips and advice guys.

I ordered a Zero DAC/AMP last night after checking out the review thread. It was in my price range and it suppose to be pretty good.

d45f_1_sbl.JPG

Now I need to find a set of cans to go with it. I was thinking about the Grado SR-125's, but they are hard to find in Canada, and I can't find anywhere to grab them online (that ship here).

So my search continues. I might grab some Sennheiser HD 555's.

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 14
ALright, so I have narrowed down my choices between the following.

Grados SR-125 and Sennheiser HD555. I can purchase both at Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto.

What would you guys suggest getting for someone who listens to a wide variety of music (though I listen to Hardrock a lot now, my tastes changes a lot).

Aug 30, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #12 of 14
You've got to find a sound that you like. You learned to hear by sound coming through the open air into your ear canal, and to your ear drums.

Except for a very few, headphones effectively use your ear as part of an open or closed "enclosure". So, even with a headphone that has been tirelessly engineered to be perfectly neutral, it will not sound that way to everyone. Then, your brain can filter out some aspects of the sound that are off, as well.

So, listening and deciding is about the only way to go. Until you can decide what you like or don't like about a pair, there's not that far to go.

Oh, and then you can bring comfort into the mix, and really complicate matters.

Aug 30, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #13 of 14
The Sennheiser HD 555's are better than the Grado SR 125 for the money.
While the Grados have their brightness, they lack in mids and bass, the Senns
are more balanced for all kinds of music, and they're more comfortable too.
Also, I feel that the HD 555's improve more with an amp than the SR 125's.

Get the HD 555
L3000.gif

Aug 30, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 14
I just went out for a listening test, and I was very surprised with what I found.

I tested various models and found that to my ears, the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 Air sounded the best for anything in my price range. It did not have Bass like the HD555's did, but it sounded amazing for the things I will be using it for. It did have good Bass, and I assume with my Zero it will sound even better.

I was really not expecting the sound that good for headphones that go for $100 online. Sadly, I could not pick them up at the store because they were charging $240. lol. So I will order them once my Zero arrives.

Thanks everyone for the help. I came here looking for a nice pair of headphones, and learned a ton in the last couple of days. Who would have thought I would have come away from this thread with an Amp/DAC and headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back