Looking for a sub-$200 DAP to replace Zune 120GB.
Jan 4, 2014 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Chaosmos

New Head-Fier
Looking for a new Mp3 player/DAP. Budget $200 or less.

My Zune 120GB just died, and replacing it just isn't terribly cost effective anymore. So I need a new DAP.

What I care about:

1. Sound Quality
  2. Capacity (64GB at least, 128GB would be nice. OK if i need to get external SD Card to do it).
  3. Decent battery life. Minimum of 10 hours
  4. Durability; I use my DAP for work, exercise, and just about everything else.

I have some Etymotic HF2 headphones that I use, so I am pretty well set in that department. I am looking at the Fiio X3, but curious what other options I should consider. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 10
For that price point and with those requirements I'd get a used iPod. Other options, depending on how much wiggle room you have, are the Colorfly C3, which has far less storage space or the 30gb iMod from AudioMinor, which is obviously less than 128 or 64 but of far superior SQ even if its a bit more at $240.

Either way, if you don't already have one I'd get a basic portable amp to go with your DAP. Personally, I recommend the C&C BH2 as an entry level model over anything FiiO offers. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 10
Rather avoid getting an amp, to be honest.  I use the DAP in a very active work environment, as well as a lot of fitness time.  I have to carry a lot as it is, and want to keep that to a minimum.  I had considered an iPod classic, but generally do not like the sound of iPods.  Is there a particular generation/type of iPods that I should keep an eye out for?

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 10
Well, for the record, an amp like the C&C BH will hardly increase the profile. I carry that + my iPod in my jean pocket during work and it always fit.

The model you should be on the look out for is a 4th, 5th, or 5.5gen iPod. Those use higher quality Wolfson DACs than Apple's current models so it should help. 

For your desired storage capacity you'll have precious few options besides the iPod. Thats just the reality of the matter. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 10
An amp does significantly increase the cost, though.  I really can't see myself wanting to carry one, and am kind of disappointed that the recommendation is "buy an iPod".  Surely there must be some decent player out there with an SD slot?  

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 10
  An amp does significantly increase the cost, though.  I really can't see myself wanting to carry one, and am kind of disappointed that the recommendation is "buy an iPod".  Surely there must be some decent player out there with an SD slot?  

Why not just get a Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip 4GB ($40) and install the Rockbox firmware, the Clip Zip has one Micro-SD slot.
32GB Micro-GD cards, $15-$20.
You can even get a portable USB recharger

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 10
  32GB max sd card size rules this one out. 

yup thats why I didn't mention the sansclip. The C&C BH is just $100 btw, I believe FiiO even offers a few options for 70 or 80 bucks.  Beyond that, your options really are either an Ipod or saving up some more money for a Cowan player or the like. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 10
Well, I've never used the FiiO X3, but it would appear to meet your required specs and I suppose is an option. I've never been blown away by FiiO and I suppose the reason I'm such an advocate of the iPod is not only because of its interface but also because you can seriously upgrade its SQ if so desired whether by using a portable DAC, high-end amp, or whatever. Then again part of the fun for me is admittedly customizing my rig.

In short, I'd still lean iPod however the X3 should serve your uses just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back