Looking for a sub $100 closed headphone
Mar 19, 2006 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

unlimitedx

100+ Head-Fier
An introduction: I have never owned an expensive headphone before; so far I've been using those earbuds that came with my ipod and fairly cheap and uncomfortable headphones that I found around the house.

Originally I wanted to grado 60/80 but found out they are open headphones, which I cannot purchase because I intend to use them in public places and quiet places.

So far I'm down to the hd280pro, which seems to have rave reviews for it's sound quality despite being a closed headphones.

I intend to use it to listen to my ipod on the go, and for movies on my laptop. Also, I seem to be leaning against circumaural headphones as opposed to supraural, mainly because I've had such a bad experience with my current highly uncomfortable supraural headphones.

Please help me
orphsmile.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 25
Hmm, what kind of music do you listen to? BTW, alot of people actually don't recommend the HD 280, they don't sound very good without about 100 hours of burn-in and some people don't like them even after burn-in. Maybe try the HD-25-SP's ~ Supra-aural, closed phones with a very forward and aggressive sound signature. I love them, but it does depend on what kind of music you listen to.

Mar 19, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 25
I have the HD25SP's and while it has a forward and aggressive sound, the quality across the board - highs, mids, and lows were severely lacking. Some people like them, but plenty including me don't.

Mar 19, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 25
The AKG K81DJ is getting a lot of love lately as a sub $100 alternative to the HD25-1...I'm thinking of getting a pair myself actually but my wallet is still reeling from the Gilmore Lite purchase
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitoedleon
I have the HD25SP's and while it has a forward and aggressive sound, the quality across the board - highs, mids, and lows were severely lacking. Some people like them, but plenty including me don't.

I know what you mean, but for closed, supra-aural, on the go phones they're pretty good IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underground
The AKG K81DJ is getting a lot of love lately as a sub $100 alternative to the HD25-1...I'm thinking of getting a pair myself actually but my wallet is still reeling from the Gilmore Lite purchase
biggrin.gif

Now you make me want to buy them. Considering I love my HD-25-SP's and my K240's they seem like they might be worth a try.

Mar 19, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 25
I'll suggestion the HD280.

I have the MS1 as a complimenting can and while I find that I like the MS1 better for music, the HD280 are really good closed cans. They block out sound really well and are highly durable. And while they're not quite as musical as the MS1 they are good cans for their price range.

Some down points for the HD280 is that many people (myself included) find them rather cold and analytical. They're not "fun" cans. Also if you have a big head the HD280 have a pretty heavy clamp. You might have to stretch them out before using them.

If you plan to get the HD280 be prepared for some long burn in time. I didn't notice a change in mine until about 100 hours and they didn't start sounding good until over 200 hours. THe HD280 respond really well to equalizing so I suggest using a decent source or maybe getting an amp.

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by unlimitedx
would the hd280 be a good headphone for listening to the ipod?

do you find the hd280 to be comfortable with 3hrs of usage?

I used hd 280 pro(around $70-90), ipod could drive it.
Only 3hrs of usage? I could wear it for 20 hours without feel it..yes, very comfortable!
orphsmile.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #13 of 25
if you like the Grado sound then i'd suggest try the FC7's you can get them for $36 at bluetin.com
i was in the same predicament and it seems from what many users say about the HD280's is that the sound is muddy and the headphones are pretty boring.
someone was selling the HD280's for $60 2 days ago, not sure if they're still up, if you can get them for only $60 then by all means

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #14 of 25
I have a pair of 280s that I use for listening to music as well as gaming. My musical tastes are all over the spectrum and the 280s sound vibrant and full in everything I listen to. These are my first "real" pair of headphones but I'm not disapointed in the least. As the others have said, yes, they do sound better over time. They are durable but they will most likely be a bit bothersome (very tight clamping sensation) for the first couple of weeks but they loosen up quite nicely. Further, they are quite durable and have traveled with me very nicely. Overall, no, they aren't the bestheadphonesever but I bought them and I have no regrets
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back