Looking for a Stand-Alone DAC
Mar 7, 2012 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GasMaskMan

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a Fiio E7, and well it has me quite disappointed with the DAC.
I've decided to get a stand alone so I can buy a portable stand alone amp.

My budget is about $150, and currently the Pro-Ject USB Box is of interest to me.
Anyone have recommendations?  
One thing I'm hopefully looking for is a USB input and coaxial, as down the line I'd like to buy something like  CD transport, but it's not necessarily required.

Thanks in advanced!

Oh and if it's of any importance, I used Grado SR325is

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 10
Audinst HUD-MX1? 

It's a competent DAC and has a headphone amp built-in that could tide you over until you get a standalone amp at which point you could use the Audinst as a DAC only.  It's $179 shipped, I believe.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
Audinst HUD-MX1? 

It's a competent DAC and has a headphone amp built-in that could tide you over until you get a standalone amp at which point you could use the Audinst as a DAC only.  It's $179 shipped, I believe.

I was considering getting that, but if i go past 150, I was just going to try to save for the Yulong U-100, but that's going to be awhile.

Edit:
I was poking through the BST forum and found a Yulong Audio Crystal DA and an Aune MK II SE USB Dac/Amp.
These any good, or should I just save for an Audinst or the U100 (a long ways away)?

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 10
Im currently using a HRT Music Streamer II and its great. Maybe they have something in the HRT line to suit your budget?

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Im currently using a HRT Music Streamer II and its great. Maybe they have something in the HRT line to suit your budget?

Yeah, the HRT Headstreamer, perhaps?  It has a headphone amp built in.  It's usb-powered, but may be a set up from the E7.  I haven't heard it myself, but I would feel good about it simply based on HRT's reputation.

If you don't need an amp, then the MSII is a good option, like ToM said.

ToM, what amp have you paired your MSII with?

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Yeah, the HRT Headstreamer, perhaps?  It has a headphone amp built in.  It's usb-powered, but may be a set up from the E7.  I haven't heard it myself, but I would feel good about it simply based on HRT's reputation.

If you don't need an amp, then the MSII is a good option, like ToM said.

ToM, what amp have you paired your MSII with?

Currently a Matrix M-Stage

To OP - The HRT HeadStreamer looks like it might fit your requirements, otherwise you can work up to music streamer II, Music Streamer II+ and Music Streamer Pro. I paid $200 AUD for my music Streamer II brand new here in australia. The Headstreamer goes for $179

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks guys, the HRT Music Streamer II looks like a good choice, but out of curiosity, do most CD transports have an asynchronous USB output?

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #9 of 10
do most CD transports have an asynchronous USB output?

Hardly any. You would need a media converter.

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 10
Hi, if you haven't found a solution already, try the FiiO E17 instead. It is very much better all round, has multiple inputs etc. It already has a headphone amp, but I use mine coupled with the HeadRoom Micro Amp, excellent sound. You can use it as a portable amp for your iPod too, it has more than enough output for in-ear phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back