Looking for a specific type of sound in a closed can...
May 13, 2006 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

aphex944

500+ Head-Fier
After selling my last closed headphone, the Sony MDR-CD1700, I'm really missing having the option of the extra isolation. I've been thinking off and on about buying another closed can, but most of the higher end ones I've seen have rolled off highs, and if they don't, sucked out midrange. I had the chance to listen to an older Beyerdynamic model, the DT 801, and it had a balance I really liked. Strong, tight bass, but with lively highs and a pretty even midrange. I'm looking for the same, but with a bit more sound quality.

I know Audio-Technica has a huge line of closed cans, so I'm just wondering if anyone out there can recommend a model that might fit my taste? Even if it's considered bright by most, I might still be interested. Also, I'm looking for a fairly high quality of sound, I can't stand graininess or lack of refinement.

My budget is anything up to $300(new). Impedance doesn't matter since I'll be driving them with a decently strong amp.

Recommendations?

May 13, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 7
I had considered that as well, but I saw the Headroom FR graph which shows rolled off low and high frequencies. Not sure how that graph translates to real world performance, but at least I know I like the AKG sound in general
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 7
There's usually very little musical info in the region where the 271 rolloff starts. Headphones like the K701 demonstrate a similar rolloff in that region, yet they don't seem to be missing any highs. The important thing is the midrange and lower-treble emphasis, which has a much more significant impact on sound.

As for the bass - yeah, there's not a ton of bass, but its very tight and clean. For someone who puts importance on mids and highs, the understated bass is an advantage - it gets out of the way of the other frequencies.

As for the ATH cans: I found the 271 to have a better midrange and overall a greater degree of refinement than the A500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back