Looking for a specific headphone...
Apr 27, 2003 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 15
CD3000 perhaps?

Apr 27, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 15
CD3000???

Apr 27, 2003 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 15
The CD3000 doesn't have near the bass level of the V6. I know since I own them both and have compared them. About the only cans that equal the bass of the V6s and sounds better in their soundstaging are the Beyerdynamics 770 Pros.

Those V6s just have a ton of slam to them that is hard to equal, much less best. The Beyers do have a little extra treble energy, but if you like the Sonys, they should do you quite nicely.

Apr 27, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 15
If it's primarily homebound, I'd recommend the DT770 with a powerful amp. Can the CMOY drive high-power phones? I don't know. Otherwise the V6 bass is probably the best you'll get.
The V6 slam is easily equalled and exceeded by a properly powered DT770. I think people are so impressed by underpowered DT770's that they don't explore how much further it can go. Only V6 owners/ex-owners will bother I think. You will get a significantly enhanced soundstage (once again, the more power the better it is) when the 770 is properly powered.

SIE is correct in my opinion about the CD3000. I've seen references to extremely good bass coming out of these phones... And I don't understand that. The comparatively flabby bass is one of the CD3000's failings I think, although it can add weight to certain recordings.

But then, using a V6 unamped with an N707 is equally a crime of underpoweredness... Better stick an amp on there first and see how you get on, CrazyAzn.

Apr 27, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
The CD3000 doesn't have near the bass level of the V6. I know since I own them both and have compared them.

I have to disagree. I also own them both and have compared them. The CD3000 bass level is much stronger and more powerful. On some music, the CD3k bass dominates completely, whereas the V6 bass sounds more balanced. The CD3k bass is higher quality, though.

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

I've seen references to extremely good bass coming out of these phones... And I don't understand that. The comparatively flabby bass is one of the CD3000's failings I think, although it can add weight to certain recordings.

I think the references generally pertain to ideal amp/headphone combinations. From your posts, it sounds like you don't have the "magic" combo that makes the CD3000 sing in the bass department. The RKV is the only one off the top of my head that people seem to universally like with the CD3000. I also found flabby bass in my short audition of the CD3000 with a Headroom Cosmic. It seems like a good system doesn't necessarily = good CD3000.

Perhaps the A1000 or A900 would be a good choice for bass like the V6? It's a shot in the dark, I've never heard either headphone. The W1000 is definitely not an option, and I bet the DT770 wouldn't have enough power. Perhaps the Ultrasone HFi-650 DVD edition? I have to assume there is bass in spades since it is for DVDs where bass is generally the most impressive part IME.

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #12 of 15
GeoffW, you didn't mention what amp you had. If you're using both phones unamped, the higher efficiency CD3000's will lead them to take top prize in the bass department. But by the same token, if you're not running the V6/7506 properly amped, you've nowhere near began to experience the tight and powerful bass that the V6/7506 is capable of. It's very impressive and a properly powered V6/7506 does considerably better than a correspondingly powered CD3000.

Radrd, I agree that some amp-source combos can work magic on the CD3000. Something with very high resolution and very tight bass will probably make them to very well. But it's relative, I think. If you can find a combo that does deep tight bass on the CD3000, it's my suspicion that sticking, say a A1000 on the same set-up will result in a correspondingly tighter and more powerful bass. And I did say comparatively flabby bass. The A-T's were/are very tight on my set-up. When I tried the CD3K with the META where all phones sounded significantly more bloated, comparatively it was as flabby to the A-T's as it was with the WAD amp. I have an even more bloaty SS amp and tried that out of curiousity... And once again, the degeneration was relatively similar.
Going to the other extreme, the replacement of the source with the XA777ES has tightened things up a lot from the previous CDP. And if I'd heard the CD3K alone in my current set-up, I might say "wow, that's really tight" but if I put on any of the A-T's after that, that impression would probably still be broken. I could be mistaken as I didn't have the opportunity to test the CD3K with the 777 but I think I have enough evidence to be sure.

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by GeoffW
I have to disagree. I also own them both and have compared them. The CD3000 bass level is much stronger and more powerful. On some music, the CD3k bass dominates completely, whereas the V6 bass sounds more balanced. The CD3k bass is higher quality, though.

I agree with this, and IMO the CD3000 has even more bass and better controled than the DT770 I tried also. And even when not propertly amped, IMO these disadvantage will favor the Beyer....and the CD3000 blow it away.

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:59 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
GeoffW, you didn't mention what amp you had. If you're using both phones unamped, the higher efficiency CD3000's will lead them to take top prize in the bass department. But by the same token, if you're not running the V6/7506 properly amped, you've nowhere near began to experience the tight and powerful bass that the V6/7506 is capable of. It's very impressive and a properly powered V6/7506 does considerably better than a correspondingly powered CD3000.

Ok, I guess I can accept that. But I've compared them unamped on my laptop, through the headphone jack of a yamaha receiver, and on my synthesizer & digital piano. Both headphones seem to maintain their characteristics across all these setups, with minor variations. I haven't tried them though any decent headphone amps yet, though.

Technically though, the drivers in the CD3000 are 50mm vs 40mm in the V6. That seems like a big advantage in bass for the CD3000's.

Apr 29, 2003 at 9:02 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by GeoffW
Technically though, the drivers in the CD3000 are 50mm vs 40mm in the V6. That seems like a big advantage in bass for the CD3000's.

pah 50mm.... mate u want bass, you go and get my headphones with a 90mm bass driver in them. then you can feel it.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Soundstage is quite nice (even for a closed headphone) the tweeter does a pretty good job, it seals your ears and blocks out a bit of noise (enough for the home anyway).... not bad for something from the 70's I believe

click on the picture for a comparison between my sharps and my sony v500
smily_headphones1.gif
(I hope it worked)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back