Looking for a solution to add a wireless/wired remote to headphone amp
Jun 17, 2007 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

strangelove

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I was wondering what solutions exist to add a remote control (wired or wireless) between a source and head amp to adjust volume? It seems odd to me that virtually no heaphone amps (except the Sudgen and Grace as far as I can tell) have the option to have a volume remote. I guess to most people it's a non-issue, but to me the way I listen to music, it's driving me nuts not having a volume control to easily adjust volume. My headphone amp is a good 4-5ft away from my listening position, which requires me to get up everytime I want to change volume. Sometimes there's a loud part to a song/cd that you want to briefly turn the volume down for and the converse for soft passages. Sometimes there might be a song that you just want to "rock out" to and crank the volume up a bit for and then turn it back down after. It gets annoying to keep having to get up (after all, that's why almost all TV's have remotes).

So is there any way to add a source selector/preamp to a set up that allows volume control without significant sound degredation? I looked through old posts but didn't see many options and the ones I did were rather costly. Ideally I'd like to find something in the $100-200 dollar range.

Thanks

Jun 17, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could add a passive preamp with remote, but that'll add another volume control in the chain.

Also, you could potentially replace the volume pot in your amp with a pot with a remote.

Would you be able to recommend any fairly inexpensive preamps. It seemed like the ones I've heard mentioned in previous threads where around $1000. If I'm going to spend that much money on a preamp, I might as well get a Grace m902.

Your second options seems interesting, where could one find such a part? Also, is there anyway to add an external motor to a volume knob. I've read suggestions of DIY solutions such as this (eg, a lego motor or RC car motor), but does any one sell such a device designed specifically for this function?

Thanks

Jun 18, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 6
I am using an NAD C162 preamp which is remote control with a motorized Alps blue velvet pot. It sounds very transparent and has two sets of audio outs, which makes it convenient for attaching to an external headphone amp. I picked up this preamp on Ebay for about $350.00, so you should be able to find one close to that.

Jun 18, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaughn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using an NAD C162 preamp which is remote control with a motorized Alps blue velvet pot. It sounds very transparent and has two sets of audio outs, which makes it convenient for attaching to an external headphone amp. I picked up this preamp on Ebay for about $350.00, so you should be able to find one close to that.

Thanks for the suggestion. Great features and sexy looking to boot. The price isn't too bad, although I've always been leary of buying electronics on ebay so I'd maybe go for it new if it wasn't too much more (can't seem to find a MSRP or online retailer). Also, how is it's headphone jack? On their web page NAD claims "The headphone socket will drive virtually any non-electrostatic headphones."

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Jun 18, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your second options seems interesting, where could one find such a part? Also, is there anyway to add an external motor to a volume knob. I've read suggestions of DIY solutions such as this (eg, a lego motor or RC car motor), but does any one sell such a device designed specifically for this function?

Try posting this question in the DIY forum - I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back