Looking for a solid headset for gaming and music
Oct 20, 2014 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dizfunctions

New Head-Fier
Hello! I'm new to the forum and not an audio expert by any means, so pardon any incorrect information I may post.

I'm looking for a good headset to last me at least the next four years. I'm a college student so the budget isn't big lol, preferably under 50 but 70 is pushing it.

I'm currently looking at these headsets:

Steelseries Siberia V2 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003N636VI/?tag=extension-kb-20

Noontec Zoro - http://www.amazon.com/Noontec-Adjustable-Earphone-Headphone-Cellphone/dp/B007OWT1VG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413830159&sr=8-2&keywords=noontec+zoro

Photive BH3 - http://www.amazon.com/Photive-Bluetooth-Headphones-Battery-Includes/dp/B00HTPHK5W/ref=zg_bs_172541_20

Razer Kraken Pro - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153147&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Audio Technica ATH-M30x - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVLUQW8/?tag=extension-kb-20

HyperX Cloud Pro - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JJNQG98/?tag=extension-kb-20

I'm looking for these things:

1) Comfort. I wear headphones quite often and often for 3-4 hours at a time. I used to have a pair of JVC HA-RX700 but the leatherette cups got really warm and uncomfortable, the cups would push against my glasses uncomfortably, and the headband pressed down hard on my head too. Sound was amazing, but I sold it because it was just too uncomfortable for me.

2) Price. I'm a college student with at most 70 to spend. I realize there are really good ones at 100, 200, and 500, but they're all outside my budget :frowning2: Suggestions within the budget would be much appreciated!

3) Sound Quality. Just because it's 3 doesn't mean it's not important :p I listen to a lot of music while studying and in my leisure time, and I can definitely hear the difference between earbuds, intro headphones, mid-range headphones, and $300+ ones. 

My primary activities will be listening to music (classical, jazz, rap, hip-hop, and metal) and gaming. I use my headphones for positional shots as Razer Surround audio software does a decent job emulating surround sound on stereo headphones. 

Thanks in advance!

Oct 21, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 15
do yourself a favor and buy a cheap usb mic with good headphones. i suggest superlux hd668b headphones, really great sound (i sample everything and mostly listen to classical jazz and techno and it all sounds really good). for gaming these can produce detail like footsteps very easily with out fancy dac and software that gaming headsets have and sometimes doesnt even work but are very expensive (i use these on ps3 for battlefield).they can get uncomfortable after awhile when wearing but you get used to it or you can sock mod them a little which imo is worth it for wanting to stay on a budget but have good sound

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 15
I second BoomPlatinum. And I've also had experience with the Superlux HD668B headphones.  I never had any problem gaming with them and certainly not when listening to music. I was very impressed with how they performed on the musical front.

1. The stock pads get hot and uncomfortable pretty quick so definitely do something about it. You can find out how to sock mod them online like BoomPlatinum said or a set of velour pads run about $10-15. I got a set of velour pads and they immediately got so much more comfortable. The headband is a floating self-adjusting headband much like what you'd get on some sets of higher-end(?) Audio Technicas so it's pretty comfortable. BTW, I didn't discover this for a while, but the length of the headband nubs can be adjusted. They don't look like they can be, but they can.

2. They're under $40 right now on Amazon and even if you buy some velour pads, your total's under $60

3. They're very detailed for what they are. A bit on the thin and cold side, but great sound quality considering what you pay for them.
I made an amateur attempt at reviewing one of these here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhikB4krt6A. For reference, I listen to hip-hop/rap (Eminem, Lupe Fiasco, Macklemore, Jurassic 5, B.o.B, Drake), EDM (edIT, The Glitch Mob, Au5, Mitis, Zomboy), rock (AC/DC, Guns 'N' Roses, Led Zeppelin), Maroon 5, OneRepublic, and video game/movie soundtracks if they're good (Halo series, Deus Ex: HR, recent Assassin's Creeds, Crysis 2, Nolan Batman trilogy, Iron Man). Just don't be a basshead; open cans are not for bassheads.

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 15
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-pads-earpad-for-SUPERLUX-HD668B-HD669-HD-668B-669-hd668-Pro-Studio-Headphone-/171053279454?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item27d391e8de
These seem like they should do just fine. I don't remember where I got mine from, but it was some seller on eBay shipping from China. No other suggestions for these cans though since my main issue was those pads. It uses a standard detachable cable with a male and female 3.5 mm end, but it comes with a 3M cable and a 1M cable so I don't think you'll need to buy another cable for easier use. That's all I got. Good luck and welcome to Head-Fi!

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 15
Congrats! Companies often slap a $2 mic onto their headphones and charge you an extra $50 for them. It's a ripoff. I'm glad you went with separate items. This way, you don't have to replace an entire headset if a certain piece starts malfunctioning.

Oct 22, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 15
Congrats! Companies often slap a $2 mic onto their headphones and charge you an extra $50 for them. It's a ripoff. I'm glad you went with separate items. This way, you don't have to replace an entire headset if a certain piece starts malfunctioning.

Yeah, the premiums that can be charged sometimes are ridiculous. I'm not even actually using a dedicated mic. I had a crap microsoft webcam laying around and that's what I use. My buddy seems to be at least content with the quality; not the best, but he can understand what I'm saying so that's good enough for us. Maybe someday I'll buy a ModMic, but that's pretty low on my list of priorities.

Oct 22, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #9 of 15
  Hello! I'm new to the forum and not an audio expert by any means, so pardon any incorrect information I may post.
I'm looking for a good headset to last me at least the next four years. I'm a college student so the budget isn't big lol, preferably under 50 but 70 is pushing it.
  HyperX Cloud Pro - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JJNQG98/?tag=extension-kb-20

1) Comfort. I wear headphones quite often and often for 3-4 hours at a time. I used to have a pair of JVC HA-RX700 but the leatherette cups got really warm and uncomfortable, the cups would push against my glasses uncomfortably, and the headband pressed down hard on my head too. Sound was amazing, but I sold it because it was just too uncomfortable for me.
2) Price. I'm a college student with at most 70 to spend. I realize there are really good ones at 100, 200, and 500, but they're all outside my budget :frowning2: Suggestions within the budget would be much appreciated!
3) Sound Quality. Just because it's 3 doesn't mean it's not important :p I listen to a lot of music while studying and in my leisure time, and I can definitely hear the difference between earbuds, intro headphones, mid-range headphones, and $300+ ones. 
My primary activities will be listening to music (classical, jazz, rap, hip-hop, and metal) and gaming. I use my headphones for positional shots as Razer Surround audio software does a decent job emulating surround sound on stereo headphones. 

The HyperX Cloud seems to be the same headphone as the Qpad QH-90 and both seem to be Takstar Pro 80s with an add-on mic.
I own the Gemini HSR-1000 which seem to be rebranded Takstar Pro 80s
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191378225566?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

To me my Geminis are the best sounding headphones I have, for under $100, if Sony put their name on them I'm sure they would sell for $150.
As they are closed headphones, you will be less bothered by noise around you and people around you will not have to listen to you gaming.

Oct 22, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 15

The HyperX Cloud seems to be the same headphone as the Qpad QH-90 and both seem to be Takstar Pro 80s with an add-on mic.
I own the Gemini HSR-1000 which seem to be rebranded Takstar Pro 80s
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191378225566?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

To me my Geminis are the best sounding headphones I have, for under $100, if Sony put their name on them I'm sure they would sell for $150.
As they are closed headphones, you will be less bothered by noise around you and people around you will not have to listen to you gaming.

So you're telling me to go with the HyperX Cloud cans? They do look really nice and I could get them for 70, not to mention the earpads don't need replacing and I don't have to do any modding of my own...

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 15
  So you're telling me to go with the HyperX Cloud cans? They do look really nice and I could get them for 70, not to mention the earpads don't need replacing and I don't have to do any modding of my own...

Yep, go with the HyperX cloud headphones.

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 15
Yeah, I did a little coupon searching and found that I could get the HyperX for 63 dollars, whereas with switching out earpads and buying the headphones, it would cost me a total of 55 dollars, so I made the final purchase with the HyperX :p

I'm glad I didn't immediately bite the bullet on the Superlux haha

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #13 of 15
It's all about figuring out your exact needs. Decent deal for the HyperX, didn't cost all that much more than the Superluxes. Lemme know how the sound quality is! I'm curious as to how it does the duality of gaming vs musicality. I've heard good things about how well it works for gaming, but not much in terms of musical sound quality.

Oct 24, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #14 of 15
It's all about figuring out your exact needs. Decent deal for the HyperX, didn't cost all that much more than the Superluxes. Lemme know how the sound quality is! I'm curious as to how it does the duality of gaming vs musicality. I've heard good things about how well it works for gaming, but not much in terms of musical sound quality.

I've worn them for a day, so if there's a burn in period then I haven't burnt them in yet. I feel that the sound is kinda soft. I find myself turning up the volume often and my last set of headphones, the JVC HARX700, were definitely louder. The bass seems fine, maybe slightly heavy, but the sound and build quality is superb for the price. It's a combination of aluminum and hard plastic, though mostly aluminum. The packaging is really nice and immediately screams premium. It comes with a carry case as well.

I'm glad I went with this. The sound quality is great and the build quality is really good too. Definitely a steal for the price, even at 80 instead of 63.

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #15 of 15
I've never heard of gaming headsets needing burn in, but I've also never listened to any gaming headsets anyway. Actually, nvm I've listened to Astro A40s. Good headset, not great SQ, doesn't strike the music/game balance for me very well since musical fidelity is far more important to me than games. A good set of headphones will make game audio inherently better as far as I'm concerned, but don't take my word for it, I don't really have much experience to go on at all haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back