Looking for a solid can (£150+)
Feb 26, 2015 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Pink Albatross

New Head-Fier
Hi there guys,

So recently I've been interested in investing in a solid pair of headphones.

I currently use the M50x and do enjoy it, but I would prefer a more confortable headphone with a more neutral sound. I have read that the M40x has a more neutral sound, but better cans can be found for a slightly larger budget.

I would personally prefer to spend from 150 upto 200 pounds ideally.

I would use these for a wide variety of music and competitive gaming. I will be using them in stereo without an amp.

I would like something very neutral (better for gaming?) and more comfortable than the M50x.

I was reading about the Mdr-1a but without any option to test I have no real opinion on them, so I would rely on you gents/ladies for advice.

I understand that my post might be a lot to take in, but I have hit a brick wall in terms of research and need some advice. Thanks. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 17
having a neutral sound is not always better in gaming. I personally think its the sound stage/ positional audio. This means you can separate the individual instruments in songs and in games you can here were enemies are coming from. Open back headphones are better for sound stage generally speaking but they do leak ALLOT of sound
I strongly recommend the akg k550. Its my favourite headphone. Its closed back so no sound leakage and its fairly neutral sounding yet still fun to listen to plus the sound stage is the best ive heard in a closed back headphone. The best thing about them? they are £99!!!. When they first came out they were almost £300 so they are basically a steal. The original price reflects what your getting, solid build quality and exceptional sound. Often here on head fi they are described as the closed back akg k702 which are almost double the price. The akg k550 are great for music and games. I use them for movies. 
I hope this helps.

NOTE: i have no opinion on the Mdr-1a sorry

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 17
Do you have to have closed headphones? Open headphones would provide the better soundstage and positional audio that Rainbowsloth describes. HD598 could be a good choice. Easy to drive. AKG K612 Pro would work very well, but they need an amp: http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-K612-PRO-Headphones-open/dp/B00DCXZY1W/.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 17
an objective 2 amp can drive almost anything and is £90 here in the UK. Its probably the best value amp ever. Or maybe even the best amp ever? 
http://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #6 of 17
  an objective 2 amp can drive almost anything and is £90 here in the UK. Its probably the best value amp ever. Or maybe even the best amp ever? 
http://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/

Where can you source that in the UK? How does it compare to the Schiit Modi/Magni 2... I know that's significantly more expensive though, but everyone seems to rave about it. And how would you connect the Objective 2 for TV use exactly?

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #7 of 17
Where can you source that in the UK? How does it compare to the Schiit Modi/Magni 2... I know that's significantly more expensive though, but everyone seems to rave about it. And how would you connect the Objective 2 for TV use exactly?

You should start your own thread instead of hijacking this dude's thread. Your question is not even close to being related to what he's looking for.

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 17
Hey thanks for the replies,

So from what I gather a neutral sound signature doesn't generally mean it'll be better for gaming. But I'm looking for a wider soundstage. From the reviews I read on here the Mdr-1a has a relatively wide soundstage when compared to other closed back headphones such as the Momentums.

I understand the argument for open back vs closed, but I must have a closed back. I had a pair of 598s before and the missus just couldn't stand heaing kids swearing at 9pm haha.

I had not come across the K550. From my research I had found that the Mdr-1a have most of what I want. But sound trumps all, how do the K550s fair vs the Mdr-1a?

Thanks again to everyone, it makes it so much easier to just get opinions versus the plethora of thesis like reviews out there.

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #10 of 17
The akg k550 in my opinion has a more detailed soundstage meaning you can pinpoint things instead of just eating them in different place like with the mdr 1a. (That's my opinion at least others will disagree) the k550 also has superior comfort and build quality as it is a mostly metal design. Also because the akg k550 are so cheap now at only £99 compared to the launch price of £300 they're price to performance outmatches the mdr 1a by a long shot. :)

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #12 of 17
Sadly amazon have stopped selling it (well from official dealers with a warranty) so if you shop around you will find it for £110 including shipping if you live in the UK
Hope this helps

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #13 of 17
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-600-Monitoring-Headphones/dp/B00004SY4H/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425068941&sr=8-1&keywords=hd600

HD600s £205

and why not?
sounds perfect to me for your needs

if you must have closed back then I'd look at ES700 

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #14 of 17
Sadly amazon have stopped selling it (well from official dealers with a warranty) so if you shop around you will find it for £110 including shipping if you live in the UK
Hope this helps

Free shipping, authorized reseller, and seller has good ratings:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AKG-K550-Headphones-Closed-Back-Reference-AWARD-WINNING-K-550-BRAND-NEW-/300804726943

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #15 of 17
Not sure what the Amazon thing is about, but the K550's are £110 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-K550-High-Performance-Closed-Back-Headphones-Black/dp/B005CNR7B0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425078253&sr=8-1&keywords=akg+k550

Alternatively there's the Soundmagic HP100/150's which i would recommend a lot more than the K550's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back