Looking for a smooth sounding dac for my tv.
May 14, 2017 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bluenight

500+ Head-Fier
Hi i want to upgrade my dac from the basic fiio do3k $20 that i use with my tv. I always listen to headphones (hd650) when whatching tv with an x-can v3 amp. I mostly stream content from netflix, youtube and tv shows from my country. So not the highest quality audio will be heard and i dont listen to high quality music files.

Im looking for a non harsh sounding dac, fiio is that but i tried an chord hugo for two weeks and i heard much more anoying sss sounds in netflix dialogue with that so i dident keep it. Maybe it was to reveling and detailed for lesser audio quality.

Dacs i am intrested in
Ifi ione
Ifi idsd bl
Chord mojo
Lake people dacs
Aune s6
Any thoughts or experiences about these if they would be suiting or suggestions of other dacs that would be.

Fiio do3k good for the price you pay and not harsh.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009...words=do3k&dpPl=1&dpID=41hlsUupiBL&ref=plSrch

May 14, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 9
The issue with TV is that most TVs don't offer Dolby Digital (netflix TV app) or DTS Master Audio decoding on-board so they pass through those undecoded digital files to your DAC and this will results to either garbled sound or no sound at all. You're better off with a receiver that has those stickers to ensure you get sound out of your TV's digital output.

May 15, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 9
Isent receivers mostly for suround sound speakers. Like i said i only listen to headphones and dont care about suround sound and i think listening to headphones with movies gives a suround sound similar feeling anyway.

Or you mean get a receiver and then output the sound from the receiver to a headphone amp with rca? You mean that is a better option then pcm output from tv with optical toslink to dac and then to headhone amp with rca.
Have a new modern tv : lg b6 oled

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 9
As long as your source is PCM only or check if your TV has Dolby Digital decoder (i.e. PCM only output), you won't need a receiver for your needs. If not, make sure you use PCM as your audio and not Dolby digital as a regular DAC don't have Dolby Digital decoding. A receiver does.

May 15, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #5 of 9
The Chord Mojo worked perfectly with my then Panasonic TV when I had it. Superbly smooth sound, not so good imo with higher impedance phones so I'd feed your Xcans with that.

Currently have my bedroom tele a small LG, connected to my Myryad Z20. Again works perfectly. Another smooth and sophisticated British dac which can sometimes be found cheaply.

May 15, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 9
The Chord Mojo worked perfectly with my then Panasonic TV when I had it. Superbly smooth sound, not so good imo with higher impedance phones so I'd feed your Xcans with that.

Currently have my bedroom tele a small LG, connected to my Myryad Z20. Again works perfectly. Another smooth and sophisticated British dac which can sometimes be found cheaply.
The only thing i have against mojo is that it does not have rca out, i own several high quality rca cables and none 3,5mm to rca. Not to keen on buying more cables. A bit concerned also that 3,5 mm to rca would be a loss to sound quality compared to using dual rcas to connect to amp. Im thinking comparable to balanced outputs vs single ended on amps, i might be wrong.

The ifi ione is interesting seems like made for using with tvs and i like that it got Galvanically-isolated S/PDIF output with REclock®/REgenerate®. Only question is it smooth sounding. Good price also.
http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/nano-ione/

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 9
This still gets me what your looking for is a dac/amp not a dac. A dac is a digital to analog converter and no more. The smoothness (your definition) is coming from the amp and not the dac(even though some are harsher than others but the amp makes more of a difference). When I see dac that is what I think of not a amp.

May 16, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 9
This still gets me what your looking for is a dac/amp not a dac. A dac is a digital to analog converter and no more. The smoothness (your definition) is coming from the amp and not the dac(even though some are harsher than others but the amp makes more of a difference). When I see dac that is what I think of not a amp.
Looking for a dac to connect to my headphone amp to get the sound out from my tv. Have tried two diffrent dacs with same headphone amp, one sounded harsher then the other especially in the dialogue with sss sounds which annoyed me. You might be right that amps makes bigger differens though. Yeah its a puzzle to get it right sometimes.

May 16, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 9
Yeah just looked again and you have a amp sorry about that it was getting late for me. This might be a hard one if your getting the "sss" sounding harsh on HD-650's which have the upper ranges already rolled off a bit as it is. I think your problem might be your source. I have not run my tv into a dac and headphone amp before to try it out . Netflix out of my tv is via Optical into my AVR and no problem there for me . I'm going to have to drop back and punt on this one as I'm not for sure. Good luck the Fiio works so there's that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back