Looking for a SMALL DAC/Amp ~$100
May 19, 2009 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SalmonSalami

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for recommendations on a small DAC/AMP unit (around 100mm x 100mm x 50mm or smaller) for around $100-$150. I would prefer it to be solid state, though its not as important as size. I already have a Compass, but I want to get something a lot smaller for the office.

I'll be using it to drive my HD650. I listen to all sorts of music, but lean more towards electronic and rock.

I've been considering getting a Zero, but I'm willing to pay a tiny bit more for reliability if anyone has any other suggestions.

May 19, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 5
I don't know anything about HD650s so maybe I'm way off but I'm using a HotAudio40 DAC Destroyer right now with my fussy K501s and really enjoying the experience. The cost? About $75US delivered. Again, I have no experience with the HD650s.
Good luck.
Don

May 21, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 5
Hotaudio also has some other dacs as well. The bit perfect dac is a bit more expensive but has a volume control as opposed to letting software control it. My understanding though is that he doesn't roll off the low end so you will hear the volume control turning. I'll pm you some more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back