Looking for a slim and not deep speaker amplifier
Jun 9, 2006 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hciman77

Headphoneus Supremus
I have an desire to get a set of bookshelf speakers and small Integrated amplifier for my work system. Small bookshelf speakers are no problem but a small amplifer - no more than 12 inches deep and 5 inches tall and cheap may be a bit of a challenge. I am really only looking to spend $100 or so so used is probably the way top go. Does anybody know any decent amps that fit this criteria. the speakers would be 4 - 8 ohm.

Cheers

Jim

Jun 9, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 7
I think the Pioneer Elite A-35R fits that bill quite nicely. It's 4.44" H x 16.56" W x 12.06" D, 2x45w, and I picked mine up used on Ebay for $120 shipped. It actually sounds quite nice with my bookshelves, and the headphone amp is rumored to be excellent as well. There are a few opinions floating around out there about it, and several people seem to think it sounds better than the NAD C320BEE.

Jun 10, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by johan851
I think the Pioneer Elite A-35R fits that bill quite nicely. It's 4.44" H x 16.56" W x 12.06" D, 2x45w, and I picked mine up used on Ebay for $120 shipped. It actually sounds quite nice with my bookshelves, and the headphone amp is rumored to be excellent as well. There are a few opinions floating around out there about it, and several people seem to think it sounds better than the NAD C320BEE.

Thanks !, best price I can find on it sadly is $169 (eBay) (used) which is a bit more than I really want to pay for an occaisional system. never mind. I will keep looking..

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
Try a used Hafler DH-120 or DH-220. Both are classics designed by Erno Borbely with rugged MOSFET output stages.

Sorry, should have been more specifc, I am really after an Integrated Amplifier.

Jun 15, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 7
one of those t amps that everyone is talking about?
confused.gif

Jun 15, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by glenmorangie
one of those t amps that everyone is talking about?
confused.gif

That is an option but the distortion figures are very high if you push it and it only really works well with very efficient speakers plus once you factor in a power supply it becomes about $60 for which one might get a decent old amp. I am still considering it as an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back