Looking for a Shure 840 upgrade
Apr 8, 2012 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Homeless2

New Head-Fier
Looking to spend around $300 but can be extended to $400 if absolutely necessary. I'm enjoying the sound signature of the Shure's in the sense that it doesn't excel in an area but is overall a very balanced headphone since I listen to pretty much all types of music. I'm fine with open or closed since it's just for home use. I'm not really sure which headphones to start looking at so any help would be most appreciated. Bonus points if it excels in vocals / instruments and isn't bass heavy.

Edit: Comfort is a must since the 840's aren't too comfortable

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 22
Do you want something with a warmer, laid-back sound or do you want a detail monster?

The Q701 definitely fits in the latter category, but may cost way too much with a good amp/DAC.

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
What exactly does warm mean?  I'm not too familiar with alot of the terminology

Strong midrange; less emphasis on bass and treble.

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
Thanks for the definition.  If I had to choose, I probably would pick something more detail oriented

more detail oriented + less mid bass (some people are complaining for bass) = srh940.
srh940 similar to k701 according to some reviews, minus the soundstage, but srh940 is easy to drive , and also require good dac

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 22
OP - when you said home-use, I'm assuming you're talking about a stationary listening point (eg PC?)

I started my journey with the SRH840.  My recommendation would be either a second hand DT880 (250 or 600 ohm) or a second hand HD600.  Both are extremely well balanced, and a definite step up in detail and imaging.  Of the two - the HD600 was my preference.  You will need an amp - which is why I suggested second hand.  If you like a tinge of warmth in the signature - the HD600 pairs well with the Audio-gd NFB-12, and the ability to change filters lets you alter the sound to your preference.

The DT880 has more bass impact, and also more treble detail - but the mids aren't quite as prominent.  DT880 pairs really well with a tube amp if you want to bring the mids more to the forefront.

I would not recommend the SRH940 UNLESS you get a chance to audition it yourself.  As an SRH840 fan, I was extremely disappointed with the SRH940 - to  much gap in the mid-bass.  And while it had great upper mid-range and detail, and also good bass extension, I eventually returned it.  IMI it does some genres brilliantly (jazz, female vocals, some classical, folk) - but for my tastes some rock just sounded 'off'.  I can't in all honesty recommend it as an "upgrade" to the SRH840 - for me it had a totally different signature.

Oh - and the Beyer and Sennheiser are also both very comfortable.

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
Well,  I  don't know how much the op care of Rock/Pop. Since I almost don't, the srh940 are just fine for me.

Yep - and I was recommending based on the OP's original statement .....

Quote:
I'm enjoying the sound signature of the Shure's in the sense that it doesn't excel in an area but is overall a very balanced headphone since I listen to pretty much all types of music.

Based on that - I personally would not recommend the 940 as an upgrade from the 840.  And I would suggest that if the OP is still interested in the 940, to try it first before committing.  I loved the sound initially - but it only took me about 6-8 hours to recognise that it didn't suit my tastes as an all-rounder.  I know you love it extrabigmehdi - I'm just putting out there that based on his original post, it may not be what the OP was looking for 
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #14 of 22
@brooko
Yeah,  but I  don't know if you noticed , but the srh940  doesn't sound unbalanced to everyone.
Moreover they are sensitive to positioning, and I  think this i why people are reporting different things.

For rock/pop my hd25 beats the srh940, but this is because: yeah nice mid bass emphasis, and very forwards mids , that makes vocals obvious. But for overall sound quality , the srh940 are much better. So frankly, it doesn't mean much for me that the srh940 are weak for "rock", this is relative.

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
@brooko
Yeah,  but I  don't know if you noticed , but the srh940  doesn't sound unbalanced to everyone.
Moreover they are sensitive to positioning, and I  think this i why people are reporting different things.

For rock/pop my hd25 beats the srh940, but this is because: yeah nice mid bass emphasis, and very forwards mids , that makes vocals obvious. But for overall sound quality , the srh940 are much better. So frankly, it doesn't mean much for me that the srh940 are weak for "rock", this is relative.

And yet again ..... I know the SRH940 is 'right' for you.  That's cool - it is a good headphone IMO for some genres.

The OP specifically asked for an all-rounder - an upgrade from the SRH840.  If he likes the SRH840 sound, and is looking for a better version within his price range, I think the DT880and HD600 are going to be closer to what he wants than the SRH940 will be (ie all-rounders).

This thread is not about what you like, or what I like - but about what the OP is likely to want.  Hope that explains it a little better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back