Looking for a short in an amp...
Sep 19, 2014 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JJJMan75

Head-Fier
I recently found an old Klipsch RW 10 (I know, I need to take a break from loudspeakers) laying around, and I decided to hook it up in my room with my new bookshelf speakers. Well, when I replaced the old fuse, the new one blew up the second I flipped the power switch (no input had been connected yet, I just wanted to make sure it turned on). I know this means that there's a short somewhere in the amplifier, but I haven't been able to spot any "red flags" anywhere (removed the amp entirely, looked all over it) Other than the obvious, what should I look for when trying to find a short in this amp? If it really is irreparable, how did all of the components just fail at once?

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 3
Don't know that particular amp portion of the sub but normal procedure would be to get an ohmmeter and start from the back  to the front. Use an ohm meter. Make sure the driver isn't frozen and reading like a short. Next see if the output devices are shorted then rectifier and input pair. Those are the most likely spots for failure and if you find it make sure to check more devices in the corresponding channel. There's going to be a lot more stuff in there to fail and if it's class D, more guidance may not be correct as I'm unfamiliar with what may be common failures in that topology. Make sure it's unplugged and to bleed the power supply caps before you start.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 3
Okay, I couldn't find an ohm meter so I connected my receiver to the high level input of the sub. It still failed to produce any sound. I finally decided to use the "NOPE THIS IS TOO HARD" strategy and connected the high level input terminals directly to the woofer. Using an external amplifier now, it sounds wonderful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back