Looking for a set of headphones
Jan 28, 2013 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mr-Owl

New Head-Fier
this is my first post here. Been poking around the forums for quite a while though. I'm looking to get me some headphones that I can take on the go, usually listening to them walking around campus. I was initially set on the audio technica pro700mk2's Because of my current headphones quality and because it has a detachable cable. But then I saw that people have modded their m50's to have a detachable cable and was wondering if that was a viable option. 
Honestly though i'm open to any recommendations people could set out for me. If you do recommend headphones, please keep in mind that i'm looking for heaphones that are over the ear, have a removable cord, relatively durable and comfortable, and sound quality like the two mentioned above. btw I don't know what temperature headphones can handle but the average temperature outside right now is -15 if that limits the choice.

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:
this is my first post here. Been poking around the forums for quite a while though. I'm looking to get me some headphones that I can take on the go, usually listening to them walking around campus. I was initially set on the audio technica pro700mk2's Because of my current headphones quality and because it has a detachable cable. But then I saw that people have modded their m50's to have a detachable cable and was wondering if that was a viable option. 
Honestly though i'm open to any recommendations people could set out for me. If you do recommend headphones, please keep in mind that i'm looking for heaphones that are over the ear, have a removable cord, relatively durable and comfortable, and sound quality like the two mentioned above. btw I don't know what temperature headphones can handle but the average temperature outside right now is -15 if that limits the choice.

Over the ear, removable cord, comfortable?

Hmm.

What genres of music do you like (for one) and how do you want them to sound (heavy bass or light bass)?

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
Over the ear, removable cord, comfortable?

Hmm.

What genres of music do you like (for one) and how do you want them to sound (heavy bass or light bass)?

Well, My Choice in music tends to be everywhere but as of late I have been listening to alot of Hip-Hop and Indie, and as for my choice in Bass I guess I would prefer balance over Bass heavy.

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
Well, My Choice in music tends to be everywhere but as of late I have been listening to alot of Hip-Hop and Indie, and as for my choice in Bass I guess I would prefer balance over Bass heavy.

Go with what you want. Grab a M50 with removable cable.
Soundprofessionals.com can get this done for you and the warranty will still be intact. Total cost including the mod is only $159 shipped and they gurantee their work.
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50s

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #7 of 14
with those m50's with removable cables. does the sound quality become effected by the mod, or does it remain the same? Oh and My budget for headphones would be 200 dollars and below.

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
with those m50's with removable cables. does the sound quality become effected by the mod, or does it remain the same? Oh and My budget for headphones would be 200 dollars and below.

If done right than no, it should not effect the sound. Quite a few people here bought them and so far I haven't heard any complaints. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 14
+1 for ATH-M50! Do have a look at the red color version xD All colors and models of ATH-M50 sound the same just the cable/color differences. No amp required easily driven + sound pretty good for it's price and very durable. As for comfort, not so sure... It gets pretty warm to me after a while but it is just me. Hope this help!

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
+1 for ATH-M50! Do have a look at the red color version xD All colors and models of ATH-M50 sound the same just the cable/color differences. No amp required easily driven + sound pretty good for it's price and very durable. As for comfort, not so sure... It gets pretty warm to me after a while but it is just me. Hope this help!

Wow that red looks mediocre.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #12 of 14
Wow that red looks mediocre.

Sort of~ but it's a good one for Christmas, Party, Chinese New Year which is coming very soon but sound wise. Don't really like how ATH-M50 sound... It's too much bass and not all that clean + the soundstage makes it a turn off for my classical music...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back