Looking for a set of headphones that sound great at LOW volumes
Jul 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TheEldestBoy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I have a few hearing conditions (tinnitus & hyperacusis) that prevent me from being able to listen to music at high volumes. I am able to listen and enjoy music... just at lower than average volumes.

So, I'm looking to get a set of headphones that will sound great at low volumes.

In other words, I need a set of headphones that are going to give me clarity, presence, depth, range, warmth, etc...  at low volumes.

Another way to put it: I'm looking for a set of headphones that don't necessarily need to be "cranked up" to sound great.

Note:
They can't be "in-ear" headphones.

My system:
  • My music files are all Apple Lossless.
  • I'll be listening on a Peachtree Audio Musicbox (if you're not familiar with the specs, take a look here).
While I am open to hearing suggestions on how I might improve upon the Peachtree Musicbox's headphone amp (ie. other headphone amps that might better suit my needs), my primary concern here is to get the right set of headphones first.  

Price:
I'd love to hear suggestions for a few different price ranges (if possible):
  • <$300
  • $300-$500
  • >$500

Any insight/advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers! 

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 11
I enjoy using my HD598 at low volumes. 
smile.gif
 they don't need a super headphone amp..they are easy to drive. 

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 11
Above $500?

The Stax SRS-2170 system!
For $800 you get a pair of Stax electrostatic headphones and a matching Stax electrostatic headphone amplifier.
The transparency of this system frankly embarrasses many dynamic headphones...:xf_eek:

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 11
I think something with more highs and maybe low's than mid's as the high's and low's come out more when turned up louder, so when listening quietly everything might sound more midforward? So even something like the V-Moda M100's that is intended to be listened to loud might sound good and less V-shaped at lower volumes? Although some do the opposite and have 2 much bass until turned up a certain amount, guess it depends on the headphones.

I'd suggest the HD598's and maybe the HD600's? Also the Sony MDR-1R, I have head sound better when listened to at lower volumes vs higher.

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #9 of 11
The secret is More Transparency.

What the OP seeks is more transparency, more resolution.
You will resist the urge to turn the volume up with a more transparent headphone........in my opinion, of course!:D

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back