Looking for a set I like (MDR-V7 vs. HD555)
Dec 23, 2004 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sacundim

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I'm a newbie at this, but I've been lurking for a few weeks, have been hooked, and now I'm looking to have a setup I really like.

The two headphones I have, and which serve me as my reference, are an old Sony MDR-V7 that I've had since 1997 or 98, and a Sennheiser HD555 that I got earlier this month (which I've run for approximately 50 hours by now, so they aren't totally unburned).

My rough impression is that the MDR-V7 is "brighter", and the HD555 is "smoother". Here's a more detailed breakdown, to the best of my newbie skillz:

The MDR-V7 is noticeably brighter. I don't know whether to label it "harsh" (don't have much to compare it against), but I did notice upon getting the HD555 that it was less fatiguing than the Sony. The bass sounds pretty tight, but it's not very punchy or fat.

The HD555 I find much darker, which I don't really like. On the other hand, it fatigues me less, and the bass sounds deeper and about as tight. There is a slight "smoothness" to the sound that I don't know how to put into words.

Mids sound pretty good to me on either headphone.

So, what would be a headphone that would combine the qualities I like in these two? I want something that is not very fatiguing, but sounds brighter than the HD555, with good bass.

From reading stuff, the Beyer DT-880 sounds appealing to me. The AKG 501 sounds nice except that it seems not to have a lot of bass response. The frequency graphs I've seen for the Senn HD595 look like it has more treble than the 555, but I don't know whether the small difference in the graph is meaningful.

Dec 23, 2004 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 2
Well, I won't be exhaustive with my little experience, but as I've recently decided to go for HD595 (though I haven't received them yet), I'm well informed about the difference with HD555.
Very shortly, 595 sounds like a significant improvement particularly in the midrange (brighter sounding and without any hint of 'nasality', then also more finely detailed), then in the bass (about the same depth, but a little more defined), and in the treble (no hint of 'veil', thus clearer, flatter, and possibly perceived as more 'present' too).
I just think that both are quite 'great value for money', but at this I'd give the edge to 595 as I find the reported improvements completely worth the not-so-big price gap, if you can afford it.
Naturally, it always depends on what you'd use them for...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back