Looking for a second pair
Apr 4, 2003 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tuki

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of Alessandro/Grado’s for $99 and they sound incredible!
(http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html – Thank you KR.. for the link)

I bought them to please my better half, since she had been complaining about the “noise” from video games, computer use (text to speech for class) and when I listen to my MP3 collection.

After I received the new set, (believe it or not) she actually complained that she could still hear the music! She thinks that I should send the other ones back, but there isn’t anything wrong with them. I just wouldn’t feel right about it
wink.gif
Not to mention that I love the fact that I can jam and hear everything else that is going on in the room (is this true for all cans?).

So, I have decided to commit another completely selfless act and get a set that will not leak any sound. The only knowledge that I have about headphones has come from lurking around here, so I need some advice. Have been looking at the Etymotics ER4 P/S, but they are a bit pricey. I’m hoping to keep it below $200.

To completely keep my music isolated, do I need to get a pair of “in ear” buds? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 4, 2003 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 11
Just tell her the only real alternative is to buy $270 dollar Etymotics (less if used but bleh), and see how much she truly cares about Grado sound leakage.

IMO having owned the MS-1, I like the ER4's even more.

Apr 4, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuki
Not to mention that I love the fact that I can jam and hear everything else that is going on in the room (is this true for all cans?).

Only with open designs.

Although it is true that the Etys are isolating and will keep the sound in, you should be aware (in case you don't like buds or something) that there are plenty of cans that have a closed design and will not leak sound.

Apr 4, 2003 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 11
Yes, I had a similiar problem. I used my Grados at work, and I could tell that people were getting annoyed.
redface.gif

From that point on, i've set forth to find the best for me, portable closed headphone.

Apr 4, 2003 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the replies!

I see that eBay has Etymotic Research ER-4P's (mainly for portable use), ER-4S's (audiophile use), or ER-4B's (Binaural recording use) $255 after shipping. They are new - I don’t think that I could put a used pair of anything in my ears, it’s just creepy to me.

Since they are all the same price, I am interested to hear your input on the differences between the ER-4P's and ER-4S's. I guess that I'm willing to sacrifice a little extra money if it will keep her happy
wink.gif

Edit: I read about the differences on the Etymotic website. I think that I would want the ER-4P's, as I would use them with my laptop the most. Anyone have experience with this specific model?

Apr 5, 2003 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 11
Just FYI- the tips on the Etymotics are interchangeble. you can just buy new tips and there would be no difference from used -> new.

Apr 5, 2003 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 11
Another bit of info:

If you're not sure what to get, get the 4P. Etymotics made an extension cord that can turn the 4P into 4S, that way, you can use the headphones as both. I don't think Etymotics made a cord that turns the 4P into 4S.

Apr 5, 2003 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 11
I personally don't think Etymotic Research canalphones sound nearly as good as similarly priced headphones (or even many headphones costing less). I am glad I bought them because it’s nice to keep the sound in and loud, but from what I was expecting, from many posts here, I was sorely disappointed.

So be warned, you may think the ER-4? or ER-6 sound greatly inferior to those Grados of yours.

Every group has its hyped favorites, often exaggerating their good points, in this forum I think the ER-4? and to a lesser degree the Sony CD3000 are two such examples.

Apr 5, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 11
if you only want to keep the music isolated, look into the Sony V6 or 7506 model.

Apr 5, 2003 at 12:40 AM Post #11 of 11
OK, I'm looking to isolate sound, but at the same quality (if not better) of the Alessandro/Grado’s set that I have. I'm not really that concerned about portability, but it would be a nice extra feature.

If the sound quality would be less for the Etymotic series, I can't justify spendng more on them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back