Looking for a replacement for the Fiio EX1
Apr 18, 2017 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AgentJ

Head-Fier
With advice from this forum I bought the Fiio EX1 for £50. I listen to mainly house and garage, with some hip hop (Drake, Kendrick etc). They're super comfortable IEMs which a great soundstage and good bass. The only things I don't like is how the treble can be fatiguing and the isolation isn't too great either. Mids can sometimes feel they're overly recessed so I'm not sure if I'd prefer warmer headphone, although I didn't like the RHA MA750 compared to the Fiio.

Fiio have broken today (cable near the jack) so I'm looking for a replacement. Options are:

* Reorder EX1 - £50 and next day delivery

* EX1 V2 - £67 - not a fan of the colour but apparently mods are better now.

* 1MORE triple driver - £77-100 - getting expensive now (especially since IEMs never last me more than a year). These sound like they'll sound great (slightly v-shaped) but I'm concerned about isolation and microphonics compare to the Fiio. If it's worse I'll probably stick with the Fiio, otherwise I'll maybe throw down the extra cash.

Any other suggestions would be great if they're around that budget.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 6
With advice from this forum I bought the Fiio EX1 for £50. I listen to mainly house and garage, with some hip hop (Drake, Kendrick etc). They're super comfortable IEMs which a great soundstage and good bass. The only things I don't like is how the treble can be fatiguing and the isolation isn't too great either. Mids can sometimes feel they're overly recessed so I'm not sure if I'd prefer warmer headphone, although I didn't like the RHA MA750 compared to the Fiio.

Fiio have broken today (cable near the jack) so I'm looking for a replacement. Options are:

* Reorder EX1 - £50 and next day delivery

* EX1 V2 - £67 - not a fan of the colour but apparently mods are better now.

* 1MORE triple driver - £77-100 - getting expensive now (especially since IEMs never last me more than a year). These sound like they'll sound great (slightly v-shaped) but I'm concerned about isolation and microphonics compare to the Fiio. If it's worse I'll probably stick with the Fiio, otherwise I'll maybe throw down the extra cash.

Any other suggestions would be great if they're around that budget.

I also really like the SoundMAGIC E10C in your price range. It is excellent, possibly the best in the under $50 range. Another really good one at that price point is the Beyerdynamic  Byron. Sounds excellent (as does the SoundMAGIC). Lastly, I would say that the 1More is probably worth the premium, it sounds awesome. As far as isolation goes, you can always add 3rd-party tips like Comply tips to get a tighter seal--it's really a non-issue. Haven't heard the EX1 so I can't compare microphonics. If they are a problem though, you can always wear them over your ears--that usually helps substantially.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the response! I'll give those two a look. I've heard good things about Soundmagic before so I know they're a good brand. 

Actually tempted to go all out and get the 1MORE. Some are saying that they're slightly more v shaped (recessed mids) than the EX1 which I think I was trying to stay way from (looking for more forward vocals, mid bass?). 

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 6
I would not call the 1 Mores V shaped as I think the treble is a bit subdued for me a lot more than the Echobox Finders X1's.

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #5 of 6
I would not call the 1 Mores V shaped as I think the treble is a bit subdued for me a lot more than the Echobox Finders X1's.

Would less subdued treble mean they'll be less fatiguing? That's one of the only complaints I have about the Fiio. I could settle for a less bright sound, but it's mainly more forward vocals I'm looking for I think. Would the 1MORE be likely to be better?

I'm gonna try to see if I can go somewhere to try out some different headphones. There's a pc world near me that might have some on ears, but at least I'll get an idea of my preferred warmth?

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 6
Would less subdued treble mean they'll be less fatiguing? That's one of the only complaints I have about the Fiio. I could settle for a less bright sound, but it's mainly more forward vocals I'm looking for I think. Would the 1MORE be likely to be better?

I'm gonna try to see if I can go somewhere to try out some different headphones. There's a pc world near me that might have some on ears, but at least I'll get an idea of my preferred warmth?
Yes they are a little on the warmer side not dark not fatigue at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back