Looking for a reliable 5-6GB portable...
Apr 26, 2005 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

luukas

500+ Head-Fier
...that does not rely on proprietary software, ie. functions as an USB drive. Properties weighed in this order: reliability > sound quality > battery life > looks. Shouldn't be too expensive either. Oh yes, lineout would be a good feature, as I have a PC II. I'm only somewhat familiar with Zen Micro, iPod mini and Rio Carbon, all of which - as I understand - require some sort of management software.

Give a semi-retired Head-fier a hand here.
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 17
The iRiver H10 is still borked..
But if it is fixed already (via new firmware), that'll be a good choice.
Or if iAudio has a 4/6gb model, that'll also be a good choice....

IMHO, once you exceed 1-3gb, you'll want to have some sort of management software...

although you might want to reconsider the newer iPod Minis...
Reliability, and battery life(longer battery life against the older minis) are good, still needs iTunes though (bad for some) and Line-out is only available w/ pocket dock or SIK DIN = additional costs (bad for most)..

Apr 26, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Girdag
The Carbon functions like an USB drive for normal files, just not for music. If that makes a difference.

It does for music too...

Apr 26, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojjorz
It does for music too...

Ah, I was misinformed then. The iPod mini does seem intriguing since the Carbon has no line out. I'll just do some searching and give this some more thought.

Apr 26, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojjorz
It does for music too...

Actually that's one of the killer features in Carbon.

Drag & drop new music to it, and next time it boots up it reads the tags and adds them to the database.

Apr 26, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by konstantinos
Actually that's one of the killer features in Carbon.

Drag & drop new music to it, and next time it boots up it reads the tags and adds them to the database.

and at $150 a pop, its even more of a killer.

Apr 27, 2005 at 7:08 AM Post #9 of 17
Sigh, the prices here are outrageous:

Rio Carbon - 289€
Zen Micro - 209€
iRiver H10 - 297€
iPod Mini - 259€

A 20GB iPod, however, costs 319€. I don't really need that much space but it would be just plain stupid to buy any of these mini-HDP's. I also want a warranty that works so ordering from the U.S. is a no-no.

Apr 28, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas

Rio Carbon - 289€
Zen Micro - 209€
iRiver H10 - 297€
iPod Mini - 259€

A 20GB iPod, however, costs 319€. I don't really need that much space but it would be just plain stupid to buy any of these mini-HDP's. I also want a warranty that works so ordering from the U.S. is a no-no.

!!!!!!!
eek.gif

CARBON IS ONLY 8€ CHEAPER THAN H10 !@#^$%&
From there, the ZM is the best for the buck, but if you're willing to spend a bit more, H10 is better.
icon10.gif

Apr 28, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas

Rio Carbon - 289€
Zen Micro - 209€
iRiver H10 - 297€
iPod Mini - 259€

If you decided to go for the Carbon, since it costs more than double from the US price, maybe it'd be wiser to buy from the States?

If it gets borked, buy another one, and you still haven't exceeded the amount you have would have spent in your country. (Plus, you get to keep the broken one, for parts.)

That's what I would do at least.

Apr 28, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vashin
wow carbon does otf tag reading! How long does it take to boot up?

I bought a carbon last night, so if anyone has any questions then shoot
icon10.gif

It takes maybe 15 seconds to boot up immedietly after synching up with your computer, because it needs to database your files. Afterwards, it only takes a few seconds to boot up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back