Looking for a recommendation on earbuds around $100
Jul 27, 2010 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

thewalrii

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

First, I'll give you a little background on where I'm coming from.  Right now at home, I have Sennheiser HD 555's, and I'm very happy with them.  For at work and on the move, (gym, subway, etc), I have a pair of Yuin PK-3's.  I'd like to spend to get something better than the Yuins, because I find that I really enjoy my music more when I'm at home through the Sennheisers. 

I'm hesitant to go for an in-ear monitor, because I'm not really comfortable with not being able to hear what's going on around me.  I'll use the headphones primarily through my Ipod Touch.  I'd really prefer it if the sound coming from the headphones didn't leak out too much, so that people around me can't hear it.  I'd like to spend somewhere around $100 on this.

Thank you for your help.

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:

I'm hesitant to go for an in-ear monitor, because I'm not really comfortable with not being able to hear what's going on around me.  

Maybe it's just me, but I could never hear things around me with regular earbuds either because of how high the volume I have to blast it at to hear it well. This is actually a major reason for moving on to IEMs.

Jul 27, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 6
You're definitely right that sometimes, like at the gym, I usually have the volume loud enough so that I can't really hear much around anyway.  However, other times, such as at work, there's not really much noise around me, and I don't have the volume that loud. I kind of like to know if anyone's coming into my cubicle before they're already in :)

If there is an IEM in this price range that is clearly better than the earbuds, I'd definitely consider it.  All things being equal though, I would prefer the earbuds.

Aug 14, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #4 of 6
ie7 sounds like it may be good for you, but i don't know how much these go for in the usa

Quote:
Hi everyone,

First, I'll give you a little background on where I'm coming from.  Right now at home, I have Sennheiser HD 555's, and I'm very happy with them.  For at work and on the move, (gym, subway, etc), I have a pair of Yuin PK-3's.  I'd like to spend to get something better than the Yuins, because I find that I really enjoy my music more when I'm at home through the Sennheisers. 

I'm hesitant to go for an in-ear monitor, because I'm not really comfortable with not being able to hear what's going on around me.  I'll use the headphones primarily through my Ipod Touch.  I'd really prefer it if the sound coming from the headphones didn't leak out too much, so that people around me can't hear it.  I'd like to spend somewhere around $100 on this.

Thank you for your help.

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 6
Do you want a pair of portable headphones, or IEMs?

Not sure how the Yuins sound as I haven't reseached them or listened to them.  But there a couple IEMs < $100 that are recommended a bit.  These shouldn't leak any sound at all once they're seated in your ear, but most sound will also be blocked out as well which might be a problem if you work in an office cubicle.  For some reason I can only think of two IEMs right now... it's too early for me I guess
redface.gif

Hifiman RE0s - $84 shipped.  This is what I use and I really enjoy the sound coming from them.
Klipsh S4- $80 at bestbuy

Quote:
You're definitely right that sometimes, like at the gym, I usually have the volume loud enough so that I can't really hear much around anyway.  However, other times, such as at work, there's not really much noise around me, and I don't have the volume that loud. I kind of like to know if anyone's coming into my cubicle before they're already in :)

If there is an IEM in this price range that is clearly better than the earbuds, I'd definitely consider it.  All things being equal though, I would prefer the earbuds.

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your help.

I love how when people say they want earbuds. Other people basically say, "no you dont." lol Anways, I've owned the OK3 and own the OK2. Yuins are amazing buds, but with a budget of 100, you're not going to get what you want out Yuins at that price range. So as much as it pains me to say it because I'm a Yuin lover, Sennheiser MX880 my friend. I've never owned them, but I do own the MX580. I also did A LOT of research before I bought my Blox TM5 so to my knowledge this is one of the best options you can find for your price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back