Looking for a recommendation for my specific setup
Aug 15, 2016 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gus6464

100+ Head-Fier
I am in the process of redesigning my office and I am looking to add a speaker system to the setup. As of now I have been using O2/ODAC combo and of course it's superb. I am basically looking for a similar performance DAC/head amp but that also has balanced outputs to go to speakers. I want balanced because I will be using JBL LSR305 speakers with dual 12" DIY subs powered by a crown XLS amp going through a balanced minidsp for room correction. The only thing I have found so far that is not stupid expensive is the TEAC UD-301. Anything else out there?

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

I am in the process of redesigning my office and I am looking to add a speaker system to the setup. As of now I have been using O2/ODAC combo and of course it's superb. I am basically looking for a similar performance DAC/head amp but that also has balanced outputs to go to speakers. I want balanced because I will be using JBL LSR305 speakers with dual 12" DIY subs powered by a crown XLS amp going through a balanced minidsp for room correction. The only thing I have found so far that is not stupid expensive is the TEAC UD-301. Anything else out there?

One possible problem here is the Crown amp actually. Depending on the model you have, and unlike a subwoofer plate amp - and especially a pro audio monitoring sub's plate amp - it might not have a line input and output. Normally the connection would be preamp to sub input to output* and then to the studio monitors. If it's the model with the TRS line output.**

The other is the DSP. Does it take digital inputs? If it does then that's the first after your transport, and if it doesn't have a preamp, then what you need is an analogue preamp. Then you just switch between this and the ODAC on your computer's OS.

Alternately, do you really need all that power in your office? Because you can just get an AudioGD NFB-28 to replace the ODAC and then use a studio monitoring subwoofer (or two), then depending on the inputs, not use any room correction DSP apart from software EQ (and Crossfeed with headphones). It'll be the computer feeding the AudioGD, then it drivesthe headphone connected up front, and also sends out a preamp line signal out the rear going to the sub/s and from there it sends a signal out to the main monitors.

*Which then either sends a copy of the signal through an L-Pad circuit, which then runs through a low pass crossover for the subwoofer, then sends out the same fullrange line out signal; or runs the signal through a crossover, with the lowpass connected to the subwoofer amp and the high pass going to the line out.
**Which I assume has to be balanced, they just needed to cram it in there to fit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back