Looking for a Receiver to use with headphones for movie watching.
Jan 20, 2017 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TwelveTrains

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all! So for the most part in the last few years I have been watching movies mostly on my PC by HD streaming (Amazon video and such). I would like to start watching some actual Blu-Ray discs on my TV (to hone in on that better, uncompressed video quality) but of course I am going to want some good headphone audio if I am going to do this. I have been looking at some receivers with headphone jacks, and one that I have heard good things about is the Denon AVR-S720W. Would this be a good choice to get some level of headphone surround sound? Or are there better receivers out there specifically with headphones in mind? I have heard about Yamaha's Silent Cinema, are there competitors to this?

My only other option I can think of would be to install a Blu-Ray drive in my PC and use Cyberlink PowerDVD's Dolby Headphone option. One pro of this is then I can still use my own headphone amp. But, this seems a bit less optimal to me, as I find the Cyberlink PowerDVD software a bit awkward and choppy to use sometimes.

Any recommendations or knowledge appreciated as always!

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 3
My two cents is most A/V receivers do not come with true headphone surround sound (but it may still sound good).
I bought Yamaha because they come with their own Silent Cinema Headphone surround sound feature.

What headphone do you use or plan on buying?

I believe Cyberlinks PowerDVD audio is limited to 16-bit/48K (not sure why), so going with a separate Blu-ray player makes sense.
I just picked the Samsung 6300 Blu-ray, 4K up-scaling player for $107.

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 3
I have a pretty wide range of headphones already:

Sennheiser HD 650
AKG K701
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 Ohms
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 80 Ohms
Sennheiser HD 598
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro

I have tried these with other receivers in the past, and they have sounded good to me. I don't own any hard-to-drive orthodynamics.

I will probably look into a Yamaha receiver then, as Silent Cinema sounds like the best option for movies. (Based on some research I did on the av/avs forums as well). Maybe one of these two?

[size=21px !important]Yamaha RX-V679BL 7.2-Channel[/size]

[size=21px !important]Yamaha RX-V379BL 5.1-Channel[/size]

I will look into that player as well, even though I don't own a 4K TV yet (Only an HD TV), it will probably be more future proof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back