Looking for a receiver for turntable
Aug 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BoredomIncanate

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, so I have a question. I have this 1983 LXI turntable, receiver, and 2 speakers. The receivers left channel has gone out and I think it is time to get a new receiver. I have no idea about receivers and what makes them good and stuff. So if you could help I would very much appreciate it. My budget is probably about 100 to 200 american dollars. 

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 5
Have not been shopping for a stereo receiver with a phono input for a couple of decades.  I doubt there are many in your price range, but here's one from a decent company (Onkyo):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=543899&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I have no personal knowledge about this receiver.

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 5
You can also look for a used AVR. Lot of times there are good values to be had that way. Particularly people dump AVRs that don't have HDMI really cheap, which you don't need for a turntable. If you have a good used market where you are, you might could pick up a mid level receiver with your budget that would be a good bit better than an entry level stereo receiver.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 5
Problem is that most used A/V receivers won't have a phono in.  With a $200 budget you may be able to pick up a lower powered 1970's or 1980's working vintage stereo receiver with a phono in. 

Not sure want the floor price or product is for a decent phono pre-amp, which would allow you to play your turntable through a receiver without a phono in.  I suspect this route would be more costly and perhaps of lesser quality.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 5
I agree that lower model AVRs won't have them. But early HDMI (pre HD audio) and some pre-HDMI mid level surround receivers will. For instance, my Denon AVR 888 does, and I recently saw one go on Ebay for under $200. And if he found a good mid level AVR that didn't have one for $150, he could always pick up an external phono stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back