Looking for a really good 2.1 speaker set for gaming laptop that has optical input.
Dec 16, 2016 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jeffmd

Head-Fier
I currently run a yamaha rx-v375 to a pair of quality sony 2-ways that was part of my gaming desktop setup. I don't pc game nearly as much now and looking to shrink my foot print but not drop in quality. Due to my ultra wide monitor I had to fall back to optical for connecting my yamaha up, and lucky for me my laptop also had digital optical built in. I would like to fall into a powered 2.1 speaker setup that features compact satellites, but still retain the sound quality that I so cling to my optical connection for, still. An example would be the Logitech Z625 which is quite new. I liked the look of the x623 but not much is known about the Z625 yet and one comment even said the sound quality took a small hit from the Z623. I would also consider a USB connection, but optical is preferred just because it has support outside of PC's. I am looking to spend $200. 

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 14
What is the model number of those Sony 2-ways?

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 14
  I currently run a yamaha rx-v375 to a pair of quality sony 2-ways that was part of my gaming desktop setup. I don't pc game nearly as much now and looking to shrink my foot print but not drop in quality. Due to my ultra wide monitor I had to fall back to optical for connecting my Yamaha up, and lucky for me my laptop also had digital optical built in. I would like to fall into a powered 2.1 speaker setup that features compact satellites, but still retain the sound quality that I so cling to my optical connection for, still. An example would be the Logitech Z625 which is quite new. I liked the look of the x623 but not much is known about the Z625 yet and one comment even said the sound quality took a small hit from the Z623. I would also consider a USB connection, but optical is preferred just because it has support outside of PC's. I am looking to spend $200. 

I doubt the Logitech Z623/Z625 will match the Yamaha/Sony setup.
I doubt for $200, your going to find any 2.1 self-powered speaker setup, to match the Yamaha/Sony setup.
Maybe find some speaker stands for the Sonys?

These Monoprice 5" studio monitors, on sale for $129 (normally), will give you a great 2.0 setup.
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605500

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 14
I have Z623. They are "movie & gaming" speakers. For music you have nice 2.0 speakers starting from cheap Genius 1800A to monitoring speakers.

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 14
check out swans speakers.. they are of good value for money...

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #7 of 14
I've always been impressed with how a sub can help cover the lows and mids lacking from smaller satalight speakers. I have a set of $49 logitechs I use on a tv that impresses me considering the price, that is why I figured a 2.1 in a higher price bracket would have been perfect. I'm looking to goto a smaller computer desk so I can't have anything to big for speakers.

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #8 of 14
I've always been impressed with how a sub can help cover the lows and mids lacking from smaller satalight speakers. I have a set of $49 logitechs I use on a tv that impresses me considering the price, that is why I figured a 2.1 in a higher price bracket would have been perfect. I'm looking to goto a smaller computer desk so I can't have anything to big for speakers.
swans m50 w .

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 14
I've always been impressed with how a sub can help cover the lows and mids lacking from smaller satalight speakers. I have a set of $49 Logitechs I use on a tv that impresses me considering the price, that is why I figured a 2.1 in a higher price bracket would have been perfect. I'm looking to goto a smaller computer desk so I can't have anything to big for speakers.

A decent quality sub-woofer (Velodyne?) starts out at around $250.

Have you considered to just getting smaller un-powered speakers (pioneer SR-22?), to hook to the Yamaha?

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #10 of 14
I wasn't really looking to keep the yamaha, but I guess either below the laptop or the monitor is an option I can consider. The swans m50 looks interesting but doesn't seem to be sold anywhere anymore.

Dec 24, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 14
I don't know if the Acoustic Energy Aego 3 is available where you are or whether it can be found for as little as $200 (it's £200 over here) but it would certainly fit your requirements.

http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/aego-systems/aego3/

Dec 25, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #14 of 14
I like the footprint, saddly could find no video reviews in english. Looks like its sold directly on amazon.com but they want $399. 

Wow! That is a major league rip off! It is £199 here and that is the RRP including 20% VAT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back